Northern Double IPA...How long can the primary fermentation last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbrewer

Reaction score
This is my second batch. My first batch was a Russian Imperial Stout that took off like a rocket, bubbled like madd for 2 and a half days then stopped. I just brewed Northern Brewers Double IPA. This batch has been bubbling once every 10 seconds or so for 8 days now. I moved it to the 3rd step down to the basement which keeps it at a steady 67-68 degrees. I am curiuos as to how long a primary fermentation can potentially last...? I guess up to 14 days is possible, huh? I was hoping it would be ready to rack to a secondary by 10 days, but maybe not. Has anyone brewed this particular brew before?

:tank:

With a good pitch of yeast should'nt take more than 7 days or so. Your bigger beers may take a little longer. My own rule of thumb is when the Krausen falls,and my airlock is slowed down and moving really slow thats when I transfer....I started my primary's in glass so I can see whats going on. Higher gravity beers may take longer but thats ok...
I'm not sure how much it helps but I always use yeast nutrient, aerate, and give a good pitch of yeast. I just brewed an 1.056 APA and used a smack pack of 1056 and it started in 7hrs.

PAbrewer said:
This is my second batch. My first batch was a Russian Imperial Stout ...I just brewed Northern Brewers Double IPA...

Brew a nice low-grav session beer. Have a few of these while you wat for your DIPA to ferment out. RDWHAHB.

Tonight will be ten days. I just looked at it, and its bubbling just as it had been from the very start. It's bubbling about once every 6-8 seconds. it was this way the entire way through. No more, no less. I really wish i was using a glass carboy for the primary. I would like to see what it looks like inside, but i don't want to disturb it yet.

Back