drilling into fridge (w/ refrigerant diagram)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gromfy

Reaction score
I'm running two lines into a fridge as part of a home seltzer system. I just drilled into the side of a three-year old counter-height fridge and got hissing. I assume that means that I hit the refrigerant line. That was more than a bit surprising since the fridge just has the single freezer plate that is fed from a tube from the back (toward the top of the inside). I drilled on the side toward the door, probably 18" away. Still, hiss.... Doh!

So, that leaves my garage fridge. I didn't want to drill into it, but now I don't have a choice. It's a 7-year-old Magic Chef full-size with a separate top-freezer compartment. I would like to drill one hole into the side (the right side if you're facing the fridge) for the tap and one in the back (not sure where) for the carbed water in. Obviously, I need to be delicate on the back, but would think I could be less so on the side -- especially because I'll be drilling all the way toward the door.

Here's the refrigerant diagram from the back:
refrigerant-diagram.jpg

From what I can see, the side should be safe. Does anyone with more experience reading these see it differently? Any suggestions on the safest spot for the hole in the back? Or would the safest be on the side for that hole, too?

Thanks.

On that diagram, are we looking at the fridge head on? Do the condenser coils run in the front between the fridge and freezer compartments?

I'm pretty certain that diagram is head on. I assume that because (1) the compressor appears to be at the back of the diagram and (2) the yoder loop is supposed to run around the front edge of the freeezer (right?).

The model # is CTB1522ARW (Magic Chef). Here are some other diagrams/exploded views, but they don't really help identify the refrigerant/yoder lines.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=CTB1522ARW+diagram&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=8775l9484l0l9684l8l5l0l0l0l0l309l966l0.1.2.1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&biw=1299&bih=695&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi[/ame]

Well, so far, so good. I drilled the faucet spout (~3/8") on the right side for a temporary picnic tap.

faucet-outside.jpg

faucet-inside.jpg

But now I need to drill for the carbed-water-in line. Ideally, I'd do it through the back of the fridge or on the left side toward the back. The diagram suggests that I should be safe on the back (toward the left side of the back) or on the left side of the fridge as long as I avoid the yoder line that looks to be coming up the left side diagonally. Is that how others read the diagram? Does anyone KNOW where that yoder line runs up the left side?

Most times the "Yoder" loop lines are tight along the front face in the freezer area and then run down right hand side where main door seal touches. If they got snagged during liner install they could be anywhere in the sidewall area, but normally they run within a half inch of the front seal area until about a foot off the bottom. If you are careful you can pop the inner liner loose and search the side wall for wiring and tubing before drilling, not easy but possible to do.

Thanks for the response. The diagram seems to suggest what you said about it running around the perimeter of the freezer, near the seal. But it appears to run down the LEFT side, on an angle from front to back as it goes down. Am I misreading it? Since I want to drill on the left side OR back, this can have a big impact.

Before I do drill, I'll chip away at the liner and will very carefully scrape the foam underneath to make sure I'm clear all the way through. Closest thing to measure-twice-cut-once for this particular project....

Back