The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I definitely think the old roster rules were a bit silly, these are, more or less, straight forward. Current USMNT players or former MLS players where the team got $500,000 or more go through allocation, otherwise the rights remain where they started. To MLS credit, the rules are out there in public now and they seem to be following them, will that stay the case? I have no idea, but so far they're sticking to them. it is worth noting that roster rules are now tied in to the CBA, which means that any changes to the roster rules have to get the okay of the MLS Players' Union first, not just the MLS bosses.

we shall see I guess.
personally I have no faith of them sticking to their own rules, or providing transparency when they don't.

Well, this is a delightfully Spursy start. One could at least claim we played the better in our first two matches but paid for dumb mistakes. This time, we were fortunate it was only a draw. Horrid play throughout. Ugh.

Another week of MLS, another week that shows I'm an idiot!

1. Apparently I Curse Teams, Sorry KC
It seems like any time I make statements like "this is the best team in MLS" that team then proceeds to prove me wrong. Last week I said Sporting KC are likely going to take the west and the Supporter's Shield, KC then proceeded to get sucker punched by San Jose to the tune of 5-0 at home and then see Columbus make a come from behind win. Previously I have said that the Sounders were the best team in MLS, only to see them have a "red card wedding" that saw them slump hard for roughly two months with Obafemi Martins injured and Clint Dempsey suspended and then away for the Gold Cup. When I said Toronto FC should take the east, they then proceeded to drop two games in a row as well. So, sorry KC, I totally curse teams by saying positive stuff.

2. Coaches on the Hot Seat
With the seasons rolling to a close, who's on the hot seat? A few options:

Sigi Schmid: Honestly, I think anything less than an MLS Cup victory means the end of Schmid's time in Seattle. The second most expensive roster in MLS sits at 6th in the west right now, barely clinging to the playoffs. Even worse, this team is sitting behind Portland in the standings and the grumbles of the Seattle fanbase are growing ever louder. It's win it all or take a hike for Schmid.

Frank Yallop: Chicago are the worst team in MLS right now, and while all of that isn't solely Frank Yallop's fault, his tenure has seen Chicago go the opposite direction from where they want to be. Two years ago Chicago just barely missed the playoffs and they've just gotten worse since then.

Pablo Mastroeni: Colorado is the west's new punching bag and it's hard to argue that isn't at least partially Mastroeni's fault. Mastroeni may have delivered a more defensively solid squad than Oscar Pareja, but he's done so at the expense of utilizing his talented youngsters and getting goals.

Jeff Cassar: RSL picked up a big win on Saturday against the Sounders, but RSL still remains firmly outside of the playoff picture. Whoever picked up the mantle of RSL coach after Kreis was going to have one hell of a time, particularly with Garth Lagerway on his way to Seattle, but in his second year after firmly being able to implement his vision, RSL are the worst they've been since Kreis came to town. If they make the playoffs it's possible Cassar gets another year though.

Jim Curtin: It's unlikely that Philadelphia will fire him after his first full season in charge, but it is possible. Curtin's Philadelphia does look good on offense, but stinks out loud on defense and are second from the last in the east; but then again Philly fans can't say this is a big change from their last season.

3. Can Anyone Stop LA?
LA beat down NYCFC 5-1 on Sunday, now NYCFC isn't exactly a team that makes people scared right now, but it's worth noting exactly how badly LA is beating people at the "right time" in the season. So how can you beat LA? Well, if we head all the way back to LA vs Houston on July 27th we get a pretty nice template. Houston kept LA out of the penalty box, letting them take shots from distance and gave up possession, but then when they did get the ball immediately went on the counter, exploiting space between the midfield (which is mostly offensive) and the back line. Houston shot with abandon too, testing backup keeper Rowe as much as possible; Ricketts is a somewhat better keeper, but he's not the man he once was, age has hit the big man hard. So what team plays that way and is best suited to beat LA? Probably the Vancouver Whitecaps, who have been playing that way for almost all of the year. If Vancouver faces LA in the western final, they could very well shock LA and play for the cup.

Can I just say, I'm already tired of the Heung-Min Son puns.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch much Bundesliga and know very little about the guy, but seems he's a good striker and we badly need another striker (hopefully between Son and N'Jie we'll be alright, now that it looks like Saido may be staying at West Brom (or maybe not, what do I know).

But enough with the puns. "Here comes the Son". "Son shines on White Hart Lane". "You are my Sonshine". "Carry on my Heung Min Son". And so on. :confused:

Can I just say, I'm already tired of the Heung-Min Son puns.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch much Bundesliga and know very little about the guy, but seems he's a good striker and we badly need another striker (hopefully between Son and N'Jie we'll be alright, now that it looks like Saido may be staying at West Brom (or maybe not, what do I know).

But enough with the puns. "Here comes the Son". "Son shines on White Hart Lane". "You are my Sonshine". "Carry on my Heung Min Son". And so on. :confused:

The worst part is that isn't even how you pronounce his name...

In one day Wolfsburg moved Perisic and De Brunye for over 100M USD, that's a lot of cash and not a lot of time to spend it for the UCL qualified Wolfsburg. I assume they'll now get Draxler at the minimum for sure.

The last great MLS Rivalry Week has ended, how did things turn out? Well, pretty great...unless your name is Frank Klopas; there were lots of exciting games.

1. Galaxy Stumble Against San Jose
Last week, I said that LA Galaxy could be vulnerable to a counter attacking team and San Jose must have been paying attention. While their lone goal didn't come from a counter attack, they did spend most of their time on offense trying to exploit holes in the Galaxy's defense off the counter. That said, it really should be said that the Galaxy were just a tad off on Friday, and they're still in the driver seat of the west, while San Jose is still, just barely outside of the playoff spots.

2. Seattle and Portland Play a Surprisingly Civil Game
Usually, at some point, the Sounders and Timbers will wind up in a shouting/shoving match during a game, and with so much on the line it was surprising to see both teams play surprisingly civilly. The moment that will be talked about was the penalty called on Kawarsey however, the big man stood his ground when Martins was set to go past him, Timbers fans howled that it should not have been a penalty, but the rules of the game clearly state that it was a penalty and a red card. The card wasn't given, leaving fans of both teams angry at the ref. In any case, both teams now will have to look ahead to the upcoming stretch of games, neither team has an easy path through the end of the season, and San Jose is nipping at both of their heels with a game in hand.

3. The NYRB Showed Why They're the Most Dangerous Team in the East
If there's one thing DC United could claim all season this year, it's that they were great on defense. Aside from a wild shootout against RSL, they haven't given up more than 2 goals to an opponent, and they've won or drawn most of those 2+ giveaway games. But the NYRB sliced open DC United 3-0, and they did it with excellent passing distribution, as long as the Red Bulls have Klejstan and McCarthy distributing great passes they're scary to play against. DC United may still take 1st in the east, their remaining schedule is full of powderpuffs and knockovers with the exception of two matches vs Columbus, but NYRB are the team everyone is afraid to play in the east.

4. Sack Season Begins in MLS
Frank Klopas is the surprise first firing of the season in MLS, after losing to cross-lake rivals Toronto FC Montreal decided it was time to part ways with the veteran coach. Personally, I was surprised that Frank Klopas had a job after his miserable time at Chicago, but Klopas seemed to have a legit contender throughout the year, despite having lots of injuries and a jumbled schedule thanks to the CCL final, he kept the Impact in the running. That said, Montreal is known for having an itchy trigger finger for coaches, they fired the only coach to get them to the post season the year after he did so, after all. Montreal better get its act together in a hurry though, they have four games in hand and if they can maintain their current pace they'll overtake Orlando City, but only if they can keep up that 1.22 points per game rate.

5. Who Won the Major Rivalries?
With all of the rivalry weeks done and most rivals having played their last games until the playoffs, who won the big rivalries in MLS?

Seattle vs Portland - While Portland will point to the "red card wedding" and their 4-1 victory over Seattle as proof of their victory, the fact is that Seattle won 2 of 3 regular season meetings and officially eliminated the Timbers from the Cascadia Cup runnings. Winner: Seattle (but only by a hair)

NYCFC vs NYRB - This is NYRB 100% of the way, they beat the snot out of NYCFC and won much of their fanbase back in part off of excellent play against their rivals. Winner: NYRB

Houston vs Dallas - Technically this rivalry has one more game left in it, but Dallas has smashed Houston 4-0 and 2-0 already, even if Houston wins, it's petty much pointless and that cannon is going to be in Dallas next season. Winner: Dallas

LA vs San Jose - LA may be far higher in the standings than San Jose, but San Jose has beaten LA two of the three times they've met. LA gets the consolation prize of a 5-2 beatdown mid season however. Winner: San Jose

DC United vs NYRB - Pretty straightforward here, DC United haven't won a game against the Red Bulls all season. Winner: NYRB

Seattle vs Vancouver - The Sounders play the 'caps twice more this season, once in CCL and once in MLS next month, right now both teams have won a game in MLS and tied in CCL, so it all comes down to these last two games. Unresolved

Vancouver vs Portland - An early season win is all that decided this one, the other two games were draws. Winner: Vancouver

Well, they "botched" it, they never really wanted to sell De Gea off, it was Real Madrid that were hot and heavy for the deal.

Right, but the player wanted it too. I'm wondering if someone didn't intentionally sabotage the deal on the Man U side (and then conveniently point the finger at Madrid).

I'm just laughing at the whole thing. Also relieved in that it'll hopefully stop the obnoxious rumors of Lloris replacing him.

Well, looks like West Brom got their wish, sort of. Keeping a very pissed off Saido Berahino who appears to now refuse to play.

If he really wanted him, Levy should have made a big bid early in the summer. Leaving it late to make 3-4 bids didn't really help things, regardless of WBA's position.

If he really wanted him, Levy should have made a big bid early in the summer. Leaving it late to make 3-4 bids didn't really help things, regardless of WBA's position.

Levy is under the impression that Spurs are a bigger team than they are. A club their size carries even less weight these days due to the extra TV cash available to the smaller clubs.

Levy is under the impression that Spurs are a bigger team than they are. A club their size carries even less weight these days due to the extra TV cash available to the smaller clubs.

That. And Levy thinks that by waiting until the last minute he can force a desperation move that works out better for him. Which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. He's earned his reputation as a shrewd negotiator, but is presumably wise enough to realize what he's doing.

But yes. Should have paid a bit more from the start and avoided this whole thing.

Agreed. I like Yedlin and would have liked to see him get more time with Spurs, but this isn't surprising.

The weirdest thing is that their current right back is pretty terrible, so why not bring in the young American and see what he can do? If nothing else he's fast as hell.

From what I've read and watched, he's pretty weak at marking during the run of play. IMO, that's why Klinsmann has moved him to more of an outside mid roll.

That said, I would have liked to see him either stay with the spurs or go to a club with a better reputation for developing young players.

From what I've read and watched, he's pretty weak at marking during the run of play. IMO, that's why Klinsmann has moved him to more of an outside mid roll.

That said, I would have liked to see him either stay with the spurs or go to a club with a better reputation for developing young players.

I would argue that's he's pretty good already and much better than Kyle Walker, but of course Yedlin needs to improve on a few things, he's only 22. The thing is, he's fast enough and good enough on the tackle to make up for it even when he screws up. I suspect that if Yedlin was English, he'd be starting for the Spurs right now.

As much as I like to **** on Tim Ream, he was great today. Proves why Klinsmann picks him. Isnt' the best player, but he has a lot of value because of his versatility.

My few takeaways from the game.

1. Tim Ream earned his bench spot.
2. Besler has to have earned a harder look as a starter. He and Brooks were the 2 best CBs today. Alvarado was OK, Gonzalez was a mistake machine.
3. Zardes and Yedlin were extremely positive. If they repeat vs Brazil cannot see how you can not start them out wide. Wide play was 10 times better than the GC
4. Jozy showed how good, good Jozy is. When he's on he's a beast. Hopefully he's still in this form in a month. He was fantastic.

Some takeaways

Wood didn't really do much. Love his long term potential, but he isn't really ready yet. I'd rate the forward depth chart something like Jozy and Dempsey to start, then to backup, Johannson leads the pack by a mile, then you have the Wood and others.

Bedoya and jones didn't really do much. I think Jones and Bradley in a diamond will probably wind up being much more effective. ALso they may have been hurt because of the really slow fullbacks.

Besler should definitely be involved. And yeah Omar didn't have a great game but that's a rarity. He is the most consistent CB the USMNT has seen in a while.

And honestly, a couple good performances from Jozy doesn't sway me. I still think he's an average international that can occasionally have moments of brilliance.

Besler should definitely be involved. And yeah Omar didn't have a great game but that's a rarity. He is the most consistent CB the USMNT has seen in a while.

And honestly, a couple good performances from Jozy doesn't sway me. I still think he's an average international that can occasionally have moments of brilliance.

I'm just not a big fan of Jozy, either. He scored two last night but both were gifts. Even his rebound off the PK was to the defended side of the goal rather than the wide open side. The keeper nearly got a glove on the scoring shot. I felt he was more dynamic when he was younger, but has become more lumbering with age.

Ream was solid last night and Yedlin, while still raw, has blazing pace down the wing. Zardes should definitely start. His confidence is soaring now. I like having a good mix of vets and young guys on the field together. Overloading on either side of that spectrum can be disastrous for the U.S.

I would argue that's he's pretty good already and much better than Kyle Walker, but of course Yedlin needs to improve on a few things, he's only 22. The thing is, he's fast enough and good enough on the tackle to make up for it even when he screws up. I suspect that if Yedlin was English, he'd be starting for the Spurs right now.

I agree that Walker can leave something to be desired, but I do think he's (usually) better than Yedlin. However, I would have preferred to keep him on as a sub rather than loan him out. Not good for his development, but better for Spurs as a whole. However, as far as his development is concerned, I'd have preferred to loan him to a Championship side (pretty much take your pick) over Sunderland.

I'm just not a big fan of Jozy, either. He scored two last night but both were gifts. Even his rebound off the PK was to the defended side of the goal rather than the wide open side. The keeper nearly got a glove on the scoring shot. I felt he was more dynamic when he was younger, but has become more lumbering with age.

Ream was solid last night and Yedlin, while still raw, has blazing pace down the wing. Zardes should definitely start. His confidence is soaring now. I like having a good mix of vets and young guys on the field together. Overloading on either side of that spectrum can be disastrous for the U.S.

Jozy scored to the keeper side because it's the way his momentum was going. If he unhinged his hips to do the other way who knows what could happen. He knows you usually don't have time to think about those rebounds because the defense is right on your heels pretty much all the time. With a goalie on the ground, lifting the ball is usually enough.

His second goal was a gift in that it bounced right to him. But if he didn't continue his run after the defender blocked his pass, he wouldn't have been in that position to score. I don't think taking stuff like that away from a striker is worthwhile. Being in the right place is a skill.

Jozy is the best striker we have right now. Granted we have a lot of young promising guys like Morris, Wood, Rubin, etc. but Jozy is still way above them right now. That may all change before Russia, but Jozy is at the moment our best striker, so lets hope vs Mexico he's healthy and in good form.

I definitely give credit to Jozy for being in the right place on his second goal. I just don't see him creating his own chances as well as he used to do. For instance, when he drew the penalty in the box, the defender bailed him out of a poor move, IMHO. The flick over his head was well guarded by the helping defender.

On the rebounded goal, Jozy didn't kick with his momentum, IMO, he approached the ball, squared his hips, and punched it to the right. To me it looked like the easier and safer shot would've been right down the middle. He had time to pick his direction, and I guess he was trying to kick against the keeper's momentum as he dived back across the goal.

Regardless, I hope that these two goals and his recent form are boosts to his confidence and foreshadows a resurgence from him. We need him to do well against Mexico.

I definitely give credit to Jozy for being in the right place on his second goal. I just don't see him creating his own chances as well as he used to do.

This. He's turned from a creative striker to an opportunistic poacher (i.e. Wondo.) By itself not a bad thing but for Jozy it's a step backwards IMO.

This. He's turned from a creative striker to an opportunistic poacher (i.e. Wondo.) By itself not a bad thing but for Jozy it's a step backwards IMO.

I never really saw him as a true creator. He always needed someone to build off one way or another. Either to create for him, or to put him in a position where he would be one on one with a defender and beat the defender.

Jozy is still a good player. I do think his career is twilighting. He's had several leg injuries and that's affected what little speed he has. In games where a step is the difference between a gaol and a missed opportunity, that's important.

Still our best option, but having watched him get slower, I think come Russia, he and Dempsey will be our reserve players from the bench with 2 younger guys starting (not sure who, just speculating anyway) or more likely (IMO) we'll see our switch of a 4-3-3 with the winger talent we have in Zardes, Gyau, Green, etc.

Sorry, I used the wrong word. Not "creative" as in he creates plays, but in that he creates chances for himself and creates opportunities for the play makers to work their magic.

But now it seems like he just plays space. But that might have to do with the leg injuries you mentioned.

As I said when he was at Sunderland and the issue was lousy service, Altidore isn't the guy who creates something out of nothing, he's not like Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan in that regard, he's the sort of striker that will take the ball and bury it fairly reliably when he gets it. To be clear, that isn't a slight against him, most strikers can't execute nearly as well as Altidore can and even fewer strikers can create as well as strike the ball well. What this means is that, when the game isn't going well at the midfield, Altidore doesn't see much of the ball and can't do much.

As I said when he was at Sunderland and the issue was lousy service, Altidore isn't the guy who creates something out of nothing, he's not like Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan in that regard, he's the sort of striker that will take the ball and bury it fairly reliably when he gets it. To be clear, that isn't a slight against him, most strikers can't execute nearly as well as Altidore can and even fewer strikers can create as well as strike the ball well. What this means is that, when the game isn't going well at the midfield, Altidore doesn't see much of the ball and can't do much.

Yup which is why he looked pretty rough in th efirst half. Because the ball play from the mid and back was basically hoofing it. When Mix came on he got a lot better as Mix was more forward and successful than Jones or Bedoya. And I think Omar turning the ball over with his terrible logn balls didn't help either. I swear everytime Omar did that and I think he did it 4 times it was over the strikers heads by a mile and the defense could cooly collect it. Or he played it for a header to Jozy but played it where Jozy coudln't get body positioning.

Will be interesting to watch what happens with Bradley and presumably Jones in the MF today. I may miss parts of the match as I got conscripted to a dinner. But I'm hoping it will be over before the match is so I can get to watch some of it. Playing Brazil will be a real test. THey're extremely physically gifted and technically gifted. I have to presume Dunga won't leave Neymar on the bench given his comments the other day unless he wants his best player revolting.

so after last night, if we lose to Mexico, is jurgen gone?

Personally, I don't think so. Klinsmann, even if he loses the Confed Cup playoff, has still done better than Bob Bradley and, realistically, there's no better replacement available right now for the money US Soccer is willing to spend. I will concede it's possible, but I think Sunil Gulati and the rest will give Klinsmann a full 8 years to see how he does. That said, winning the Confed Cup can't hurt either.

In any case, I think it's a bad idea to take too much from a friendly vs Brazil, remember we took a similarly lopsided loss to Belgium before the World Cup (4-2) and nobody rang the alarm bells then. Klinsmann likes to take these sorts of games to show, and remind the players that really, they must be better because this is where we want to be; train harder, be faster and be "nastier". Bob Bradley got fewer complaints of this nature because he A) Was American and B) Didn't play friendlies against top flight teams as often. It's sort of like fans complaining that Klinsmann doesn't use enough MLS players on the team, when in fact he took more MLS players to the World Cup than any previous coach, a ratio that has increased as the big name players came back to MLS for big contracts. Three months ago people were raving about his wins against Germany and Holland, now they're panicking because we had a bad Gold Cup result and lost a game against Brazil.

Latest posts

Back