Carafa III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carafa malts are black malts and interchange with black patent pretty well. Their carafa special is their debittered malt and I like this in my smaller abv beers.

Add the regular one late in the mash to get the color without the harsh bitter malt flavor.

The "Mild Ale" book from the classic beer styles series has a recipe that uses 2 oz of black malt and several that use 3-6 oz of chocolate malt, I've made several of them. Carafa III should work just fine.

I use CS3 mainly for a coloring. For a mild I'm going to look for something that will provide more of a nutty and to a lesser degree roasty flavor. This would include the lighter roasted malts like the chocolates, light roasted barley and coffee malt.

Now if I want to darken it up, then I'll add some CS3. Actually that might be when I cheat and break out the brewer's caramel coloring.

My house recipe also calls for 2 oz of patent and I've use both carafa special and patent with very similiar results. I noticed that at that small an amount the bittering from the patent lends just a bit more dry bitterness on the finish.

I've subbed in roasted barley on one batch and it worked too.

Latest posts

Back