Hey everyone. First timer here, looking for a good book.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Nik

Reaction score
I'm getting set up to try brewing my first batch and wondering if you all could reccommend a good book to school me on brewing?

I have not read "how to brew" yet, but I want to. I have read, and recommend "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Papazian. Where ever you see RDWHAHB, thats a Charlie Papazian reference. Great author.

Papazian and Palmer, yup. How To Brew is free online to get you started right now. Papazian's The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing is a good one as well. Papazian aslo has The Homebrewers Companion, kind of a follow up to TCJOHB with a little more attention to detail.

Good Luck!:cross:

I like "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. I still refer to it all the time!

Welcome!

PNWgirl said:
I like "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. I still refer to it all the time!

Welcome!
I will have to second DGB But only after you get a good understanding of the brewing process I referance this book ALL THE TIME!. To start your gonna want to read How to brew Hands down
welcome to the obsession
Cheers

Like everyone says, you should definitely start with either Papazian or Palmer. I started with Papazian and thought it was fantastic, and I know a lot of people on here say the same about Palmer's book - whichever you pick, you won't go wrong. Then, once you're comfortable brewing, Ray Daniels's book is an excellent next step.

After you get Palmer's How to Brew book, I highly recommend Making Beer by William Mares.

Though it is out of print, it is an excellent read and will give you a great and entertaining history of home brew in America.

The author is a journalist who became a home brewer so it is very well written. Click the link above to get a used one from Amazon.

518205E2S9L._AA240_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, everyone. This site is going to be a great resource. I grabbed papazian's book on my way home from work. I'll check out palmer's too.

Back