Which thermometer is accurate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Was preparing to do a heat study on a fermentation to determine the delta between the apparent temperature recorded by a sensor-in- insulation sensor and a sensor inserted directly into the wort. Another member suggested I calibrate the sensors first. Popped them both into the same environment and got a difference of 11 degrees!!! needless to say I cannot produce reliable data until I get 2 sensors that read temperatures the same. Therefore, I took both sensors out and laid them on the ferm chamber lid, essentially sensing ambient air temp. 11 degrees apart!!! thinking that the digital sensor may not be a reliable air sensing device, I then placed them both in a glass of water. Still 11 degrees apart. At that point I decided to record the difference and get some input here. Therefore, I repeated the experiment, except I added 2 additional thermometers. Below please find a summary that records the thermometer make and model, along with the raw readings for each. The water pool was a 3 quart mixing bowl filled with warm tap water to ensure the sensors were completely immersed. I made NO attempt to normalize the water with air, so the 2 readings are useful only in comparing other readings in that medium. I am concerned because I am using the taylor digital to do my mashes. The data seems to report that this thermometer is not accurate, and the cheesy little pocket thermometer is actually more accurate!!! Am I missing something? (Not sure how the word above bacame a link, please do not follow)

Controller 1: Control Products TC9102 Air 52F Water 91F
Controller 2: Taylor 1478 Air 66F Water 102F
Controller 3 Lacrosse Wt-62u-TPB Air 58.2F Water N/A
Controller 4: Taylor Truetemp 3512 Air 59F Water 90F

Stick them in either boiling water or a glass of ice water. They should read 212 and 32. Assuming Sea level.

Back