hops not growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
Hops were planted around May time (cold climate here zone 4 but there was no frost).
They all seem to have grown to about 3-4ft high but just seemed to have stopped for the last month or so.
There's been plenty of rain.
Any ideas what could be wrong?

Would they just stop growing?
Hasn't been that bad, there's been sun in between also.

Theyre likely developing a strong root system. Are the plants still green and healthy? No major yellowing or noticeable change to the overall plant?

Started from rhizomes? Where you at? In ground? In pots? How much space do they have? What kind of soil?
Rain? You don't water?

But yeah, agree with the opinion that it is likely that they are simply putting energy into a root system rather than greenery above ground.

Post pictures, put up a bit of info to work with, and you will likely get a bit better answers. Otherwise it's just random guessing.

TeeJo

Started from rhizomes? Where you at? In ground? In pots? How much space do they have? What kind of soil?
Rain? You don't water?

But yeah, agree with the opinion that it is likely that they are simply putting energy into a root system rather than greenery above ground.

Post pictures, put up a bit of info to work with, and you will likely get a bit better answers. Otherwise it's just random guessing.

TeeJo

Started from rhizomes that were harvested end April.
Zone 4a in Canada.
Planted in May in the ground just in front of a terrace above so when it rains, they get extra water due to all the water dripping down.
They have been watered every night by a sprinkler that does the grass nearby.
It has rained a lot recently almost every other day but is now hot again.
Some cedar mulch at the base, which I should remove as it might make it too acidic. Just add earth instead?

Some images here:

Too much rain can stunt growth as the root system starves for oxygen that would normally entrain the soil as the moisture wicks out. Has the same appearance as under watering and nutrient deficiencies.

Dig a hole a foot away from the root ball, if possible, and check how saturated the soil is.

The first year I planted my hops they barely grew. They were growing a big root system. The second year they grew like weeds. I harvested a pound of hops from 2 plants the second year.

I wouldn't worry.

do not look too bad. I would get some mulch or use peat moss.
pull the weeds around the base, loosen the dirt about an inch or two and mix a small amount of fertilizer in as well as lime you sugget it was needed then cover this with the mulch. water enough to wet the mulch. leave be. Then let it dry before watering again.

Pick the 2 healthest bines and prune the rest.

As others have said, year 1 is all about growing roots.
HOWEVER... I can see that they are right next to concrete. The soil will become basic from alkali compounds leached out of the concrete by rain runoff. Make sure you adjust by increasing acidity.
I have a concrete flag pole base that was poured next to one of my hop mounds (to be my trellis support) and it just about died the first year after until I realized hops need acidic soil and started tossing fallen pine needles around it.

As others have said, year 1 is all about growing roots.
HOWEVER... I can see that they are right next to concrete. The soil will become basic from alkali compounds leached out of the concrete by rain runoff. Make sure you adjust by increasing acidity.
I have a concrete flag pole base that was poured next to one of my hop mounds (to be my trellis support) and it just about died the first year after until I realized hops need acidic soil and started tossing fallen pine needles around it.

It's limestone rocks with polymeric sand and then the concrete columns.

Back