filling Sanke kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
Hey Yall, new here, first post. Got a question that has been on my mind. I just got started micro brewing and I'm getting myself ready to go big. I'm making plans to start kegging and getting the necessary equipment. My question has to do with steel kegs. You know the ones you get for those college parties. I have a couple friends that own steel kegs and I know how to open them. My question is, how could I fill those? I've seen the other kegs that require co2 but I don't see how you get the co2 in these kegs. Could you add priming sugar to the fermented batch into the keg to create its own carbination? Is this plausible at all to do or is it just too big of a pain in the rear?

Commercial keg filling equipment is the efficient way.
However, I have dissasemebled, cleaned, boiled, emptied the water, filled with beer and used a D tap to carb. Turned out great but it was a whole lot of work.

1) The brewery owns those kegs... not your friends. If they placed a deposit for use, then they should get their deposit back.
2) Any tap that fits those kegs can be converted to use a filler/dispenser.
3) Beer kegs are hard to clean, and Corny's are easy... you pick.

I didn't steal them so not my problem. Besides, a deposit on those are over a hundred dollars. Can get one of those reconditioned kegs for cheap. Just want to know if at all possible.

If you are using steel kegs, I am sure no one uses them anymore. If they are stainless steel that is different. I am really not sure what your question is, maybe a post that is more clear for us?

You are trying to fill a steel keg with beer, and know how to open it, but you don't know how to put something in there?

I meant a sanke keg. More than likely made of stainless steel. So technically I was right.

xenomaniac said:
I didn't steal them so not my problem. Besides, a deposit on those are over a hundred dollars. Can get one of those reconditioned kegs for cheap. Just want to know if at all possible.

Technically that doesn't matter...just saying...but your original question yes you can do it just need a tap that allows you to attach co2

If you truly mean you are micro brewing ie starting a business. I would stay clear of using marked BMC kegs to sell your beer in. They will find out, they won't be psyched.

If you truly mean you are micro brewing ie starting a business. I would stay clear of using marked BMC kegs to sell your beer in. They will find out, they won't be psyched.

No I meant as in brewing in small portions. I can see the confusion but that's one way to kill your business before starting it.

I mean bmc will find out. And take their kegs back. Likely shutting your business down with court fees in the meantime.

To answer the question asked and not address the whole source of the kegs question since it has been covered above. Just remove the spear, clean the heck out of it since they probably have very, very old beer in them. Sanitize, purge with CO2, rack your beer into the keg. Reinstall the spear, then put on CO2 at serving pressure for approximately 2 weeks, or attempt to force carb though overcarbonation is a possibility.

DTC302-coloredCoupler-b3.jpg

not

tn375_large-broncopump091809105540.jpg

the above you can connect to a c02 source. the below pumps outside air into the keg to serve.

Why not just return the commercial kegs to any place that sells full ones? Many will give you a deposit back even if you didn't get the leg from them originally. Then you can buy corny kegs and make your life a lot easier.

Why not just return the commercial kegs to any place that sells full ones? Many will give you a deposit back even if you didn't get the leg from them originally. Then you can buy corny kegs and make your life a lot easier.

This question has already been answered. If you have nothing to contribute, please post elsewhere.

Everything depends on location.. cant return kegs in michigan now withought this special sticker you fill out when u purchase them.. it becomes a fine for the retailer if they are caught with one.. so now kegs are poping up on craigslist becuase there in "limbo"... scrap yards cant/wont take em either cuz there considered "stolen" so like op ive been able to pick a few up for use here pretty cheap.. and i wouldnt call it stealin or anything else along those lines, cuz they cant be returned

Thank you Mkringii for clarifying that.

One last question, kegging beer, you have to use CO2. You can't add priming sugar to the keg and let the yeast create the co2 like in a bottle?

Yes u can naturally carb in a keg.. i do that for my "on deck kegs" but if i have an empty line or have to get sumtin done quick (like during the holidays) i will force carb

Latest posts

Back