Question on first batch of mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerb19

Reaction score
I mixed up my first batch of mead last night and put it in my storage room to ferment but i have a question. I used a 2 gallon bucket that i was offered at the local brew supply store. The honey did not fully disolve or dilute in the water and after several minutes of vigorous shaking there was still a layer of honey at the bottom of the bucket. The instructions i followed didnt mention heating the water, only shaking it. Is my mixture ruined? or will it still work.

In my limited experience, it's harder to incorporate cool honey with cool water, you need to go stir more.

What i do is set the honey in the sink with warm water. Warm honey pours better than cold. Also mix is with a little warm water. The top off off the carboy with cool water brings the temp down.

It shouldn't be ruined, just stir it up longer.

I mixed up my first batch of mead last night and put it in my storage room to ferment but i have a question. I used a 2 gallon bucket that i was offered at the local brew supply store. The honey did not fully disolve or dilute in the water and after several minutes of vigorous shaking there was still a layer of honey at the bottom of the bucket. The instructions i followed didnt mention heating the water, only shaking it. Is my mixture ruined? or will it still work.

It is fine, but you will need to stir it some more. I spent about 1/2 an hour stirring my cyser before the honey dissolved. Stir a few minutes, rest a few minutes, and then do it again. It is hard work, but it us worth it.

If this batch is small enough to shake, then shake it some more. It takes quite a bit of shaking to dissolve the honey. You can also try swishing it in the jug if your arm gets tired. Just rock out back and forth to get things moving

The recipe I used, which was about the most basic and simple I could find, didn't call for heating and dissolving the honey. After four days, the honey is almost gone, going from a little over an inch in the bottom of the jug, down to almost an 1/8 of an inch now.

Back