Bleach/Vinegar Sanitizer Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long do you use activated bleach sanitizer? (Bleach water vinegar solution)

• 8 Hours or less

• Every day I brew starts with a fresh batch

• 2-4 Days

• A week or so

• More than a week; if so how long & any problems?

Results are only viewable after voting.

OppamaBrendan

Reaction score
Once mixed and activated with vinegar, how long will a bleach+water+vinegar solution last? Will it degrade over a few hours, a day, a week, a month? Assuming I mix this up using tap-water for big jobs, how long will it last?
What about DI water as is recommended for starsan longevity?

Currently I mix it up every time I brew and keep some in a spray bottle for non-brewing use. I replace the contents of the spray bottle each time I mix it, it never looks cloudy but I don't know when it stops working.

I just wanted to add some observations from using this sanitizer for 10 months. I have used it exclusively, and have not had any infected batches. However, I have gotten in the habit of spending a bit more time washing equipment with stronger detergent concentrations (oxiclean). I also give the equipment a longer soak in the sanitizer, which extends my brewdays a bit. It may not be necessary but I mix this up and let my stuff soak for a good hour before I do anything else. No damage to hoses or plastic parts, and no residual smell from the bleach or vinegar is noticeable on equipment or in the beers I have brewed.
I usually mix this up in a fermenter since I have liter markings on the side and it is easy to measure into. I then leave the excess in the extra fermenter for a full day after I brew/bottle with the tubing and whatever non metal equipment I can fit in there. I hope that it has done a deep sanitizing of any scratches in the plastic and really gotten through the hose interior surfaces.

To be honest I have never heard of this. I run bleach through the lines in my camper every year and then follow up with the vinegar to get rid of the bleach smell and taste.

Never tried brewing though with it

You don't need to soak for an hour. If you listen to Charlie Talley's mention of it, I think he say 2 minute contact time is sufficient.

Bleach is bad for stainless steel and yeast has a bad reaction to it. Two reasons I will never use bleach for brewing.

Back