Bleach and vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzywigg912

Reaction score
Does anyone here use a bleach, vinegar, water solution for sanitation. There was a Basic Brewing podcast recently on the effectiveness of bleach as a sanitizer. The owner of star san said to add 1 ounce of vinegar (acetic acid) to lower the ph to 5 gallons of water, then add 1 ounce of bleach. DO NOT ADD BLEACH DIRECTLY TO VINEGAR! The result is hyperchloric acid which kills in a contact time of 30 seconds. Bleach on its own is not an effective sanitizer and only changes colors of clothing (and bugs) and unless it is added to an acidic water solution, will not kill effectively. I'm thinking of doing this to sanitize my equipment, maybe rinsing. If anyone here uses this technique let me know;)

I listened to the podcast you're talking about. I have been considering useing it to clean my bathroom.
I think the no rinse sanitizers like starsan or iodaphor exist for good reason. Bleach is a great sanitizer, when used corectly and every self respecting homebrewer should be able to use it in a pinch. But I don't think I would rely on it too heavily.
The idea of mixing bleach and acid (vinegar) is like chewing on tinfoil. I will try it though. If you don't know the podcast, Please listen to that BEFORE you you EVER try mixing bleach and vinegar.

Latest posts

Back