Carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymorrow

Reaction score
I have read through the first 35 pages of topics in this forum and haven't seen what I'm looking for, so I hope I am not asking a repeat question.

I would like to lightly carbonate my mead when I bottle it. Is there a safe carbonation level for regular wine bottles, or must I use champagne bottles for even light carbonation.

I am not sure what level I want, just a little "fizz" when it is poured.

You'll get more authoritative responses from other members, but my opinion is that you can't reliably get any level of carbonation in a regular wine bottle. The bottle itself might be able to withstand a slight carbonation, but you run the risk of your corks popping out.

If you want a mild carbonation, I'd suggest using beer bottles – maybe the 22oz ones if you want something larger than the regular 12oz.

Thanks. I will be using screw-top wine bottles, so the cork is not an issue, but I am really afraid of a bottle exploding from pressure. I have no idea how much pressure is too much.

I will bottle at least some in 12oz beer bottles, but would like to have a few regular size wine bottles for gifts.

Back