Imperial Stout stall out??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamamiked

Reaction score
Six days into the primary the active slowed significantly. Now after seven days in the primary and two days in the secondary we are getting one bubble in the air lock every two minutes.

Is this normal???? Too slow??

I wasn't sure if the yeast population was stressed or exhausted, so I added 1/2 teaspoon of dissolved yeast nutrient.

What do you think??

Did you check your SG? There's no way to be sure if fermentation has stopped if you don't check your gravity. Try to keep your beer in the primary for at least 3 weeks. Especially a big beer like that. It needs to stay on the yeast so it doesn't stall. Check your gravity.

The gravity is 1.026 and it should be 1.021 as the final. Any advice as to what we should do?

Should we pitch more yeast? The reason I ask is because fermentation has halted.

Any words are welcome.

Tamamiked said:
The gravity is 1.026 and it should be 1.021 as the final. Any advice as to what we should do?

Should we pitch more yeast? The reason I ask is because fermentation has halted.

Any words are welcome.

6 points isn't that big of a deal. It should just have a little more body and sweetness to it. You should be fine. I would just leave it.

1.026 isnt bad for an imperial stout. i would let it sit on the cake for another week or so and then rack to secondary.

Yeah. STOP DOING STUFF TO YOUR BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.

Your beer will be fine, as long as you don't screw it up adding more things to it.

Why did you transfer it to the secondary so soon and especially if you weren't sure it was done fermenting?

The recipe said to move it after a week. I've only done 4 batches so I figured I should follow it. I really appreciate the responses.

Yea...ignore those instructions. Especially for a big beer. Let the FG stabilize before you rack it. Also figure out whether you even want to use a secondary.

Most people here feel that it isn't necessary at all unless you're adding something after fermentation is complete. It's purpose is to take it off of the yeast cake and let the beer clear. It's also good for bulk aging. It will clear even if you leave it in the primary with no negative effects. There are a couple of thousand threads on it here.

Back