Forgive me, I have yet another rant.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Some of you know that my oldest son has ADD/Asberger's. Some of you also have kids with this....challenge. Now I say it is a challenge, but it is by no means unmanageable and I refuse to use it as an excuse for my son's behavior.

That said, I must now rant. My mother brought over a newspaper article today from the local rag. A front page story about a local family with an asberger's child with all kinds of bleeding-heart whining about how hard their life is and would people please feel sorry for them and DONATE MONEY!!!

I'm sorry but that just pi**es me off! This child does not need donations! IMHO his parents are just using it as a crutch to get money, and are teaching the kid to do that!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrr!

OK any other Asberger parents out there that want to flame me for my insensitivity, let me have it.........

People will use any excuse to stick out their hands. Up to and including shaving a child's head and saying it's due to chemo.

That's what family/friends are for, not strangers. Public donations are better spent on charities or natural disasters, not individual family hardships, IMO.

Bernie Brewer said:
That said, I must now rant. My mother brought over a newspaper article today from the local rag.

Calling that paper "the local rag" is being too kind, it's absolutely worthless. Want proof? If a crime is committed and the police are looing for a suspect this POS wont tell you his race in the description because it causes "profiling" . . . so be on the look out for a 6' 200lbs male in his 20's - late 30's . . . it's only half the MF city :mad:

I really HATE that paper

not to mention the affect that will have on their child in the long run. I honestly do not know much about add/asbergers. I do believe a kid should be aware of their own challenges, but not made to feel like they are inferior or "needy". I feel bad for that kid, their parents are setting a bad example and short changing their kid.

I heard an interview with Dan Akroyd once and he has asbergers, to what degree I do not know... just a side thought.

I can not claim to understand your particular situation, but when it comes to our kids it is hard not to get upset about things that relate to them. I try and remember (though it is hard) they are more resilient than we are most times.

Well, you know that my son (almost 15 now) has similar issues. I'm now thinking that the "mild Aspberger's" diagnosis for him is wrong- he'll never be social, but he seems to be outgrowing some of his autistic behaviors. Maybe he is learning how to accomodate others better, but he really seems to be doing OK in adolescence- he even has a "girlfriend". The ADD seems more managable now, too, thank God. He's even talking about after high school- a trade school or college.

I'm not ashamed of my son- you all know that. I'm very proud of him- he is a kind person and would not hurt a soul. He stays away from behaviors that he knows are wrong. But I would NEVER EVER put him in the paper, even if I was expecting a payoff from it. It's hard enough being "different" and one of the reasons he isn't teased is because of his size, I'm sure. To single out a child who has a handicap and draw attention to it in the guise of asking for "help" sickens me.

Also, we are not "low income", so I have to make some assumptions here- but if you are "low income" and have a child with a handicap, you have so many more resources than I do. There's medical assistance, SSI, psychologists and counseling that I can't afford, as well as Childrens' Special Health Care Services (CSHCS).

So, they are teaching the child that you don't have to struggle to overcome your obstacles- have people pity you and support you! I'm really angry about that, too. I don't doubt their life is hard- it's not easy and I'm not trying to imply that it is. But an appeal for donations is sick!

Pumbaa said:
Calling that paper "the local rag" is being too kind, it's absolutely worthless. Want proof? If a crime is committed and the police are looing for a suspect this POS wont tell you his race in the description because it causes "profiling" . . . so be on the look out for a 6' 200lbs male in his 20's - late 30's . . . it's only half the MF city :mad:

Pumbaa, you do realize that I meant the Fond du Lac paper, right? I think the Milwaukee paper is 1000 times better than that local waste of newsprint that we have.

I
orfy said:
have a cure for that.

Stop reading the paper..... (My cure any way)

I do understand why it makes you mad.

I don't read that piece of ****. I only saw the article because my mother brought it over.

I thought ya ment the Journel Sentinel, which ran a simular story not to long ago.
BTW I would Read Mien Kumpf or Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto before I read the JS. The Gannett Company isnt any better

Back