Cabonating a 2-Liter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CouchFarmer

Reaction score
I have growler of beer I set aside so I could "dry hop" it with jalapenos as an experiment. I have a keg and a carborater cap for the 2 liter. I only have one carborater cap and plan to replace it with the normal cap once it's properly carbonated.

My question is when I take off the carborater cap it will let off the pressurized gas, dropping the pressure in the 2 liter. How much do I need to over-carbonate to compensate for the loss of pressure when I switch caps?

Good question! I just purchased such a cap from my LHBS and I use it, but it remains on the bottle so I can re-charge it when I am done.

Instructions are not present for the device other than basic useage, so I hope someone here can assist us both with an answer.

Salute! :mug:

This will all depend in how many times you plan on opening it. If you're going to drink it when you open it, you'll be fine. If not, you can either compensate by going for a little higher volume, or you can try to recharge it when you close it.

I wouldnt think you'd need to overcarbonate it as long as you don't agitate it too much when you switch caps. A 2L of soda doesn't lose too much fizz after opening and closing it only once. If you're going to keep pouring from it though it might get tricky.

Hmm....can you use a portable CO2 bicycle tire inflator to pressurize the soda bottle? That would be a nice little party trick :D How much pressure can these caps hold? Has anyone hooked up a pressure gauge to one of these caps?

Latest posts

Back