Help Please, White Film on top of the Beer in my Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavyaz19

Reaction score
Hi guys, my brewing buddy and I just did our first batches of all grain about 5 weeks ago now. In secondary and in the bottle, a white film has formed. It is very, very thin and when disturbed practically flakes apart and loses it's shape. Tiny bubbles have formed under the foam around the sides of the bottle. Is this beer ruined?

During secondary, the film was there as well but it didn't smell whatsoever.

The beer is comes from a clone recipe of Bell's Oberon. This is the first beer we've made with wheat as an ingredient.

We brew batches in pairs, two at a time. Our other beer is a newcastle clone. We used the same equipment for each, except of course for the first / secondary fermentation bucket / glass carboy. The newcastle clone seems to be perfectly fine. Both beers have been in bottles for almost 2 weeks now. I keep reading about something called pellical but have no idea if it's a good or bad thing. We're brewing in southern California during the summer, so the temperature in the garage is not ideal... it is usually in the mid to high 70s.

This is the recipe we used...

All Grain Recipe - Bells Oberon ::: 1.050/1.013 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill

5 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
5 lbs. - Wheat Malt
1 lb. - Munich Malt (get the lighter stuff if you have a choice)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)
Hop Schedule (28 IBU)

1/2 oz - Northern Brewer (or Hallertau, your choice) (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Saaz (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Saaz (15 min.)
1/2 oz - Saaz (0 min. - flameout)
Yeast

Here are three choices, in order preference:
Wyeast 1272 American Ale Yeast [fruitier than WLP001]

Mash at 150° to 152° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 60 minutes
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

Any advice, comments, and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Crack one open and taste it. If it tastes sour, you might have a lacto infection? It'll make it sour, but it'll still be 'safe' to drink (and might turn out pretty good).

Here is one of my bottles...

oberon.jpg

I can get a better resolution picture if necessary... for scale; this is a 34oz bottle.

It's a bottle krauzen....it is becasue carbonation is a mini fermentation and it often happens, and I believe happnes much more frequently that people realize, it is just that other than new brewers bottling their first batch and hovering over them like an expectant mother, most brewers stick the bottles in box, and shove them in a dark closet for 3 weeks...so they don't see them form and fall....

ALe yeast is top fermenting..that means during the process the first thing it does is build a little house...and towards the end it falls.

It's normal..and it will fall (it probably already has, because it usually forms and falls quite quickly) and it basically becomes the sediment layer at the bottom of a bottle conditioned bottle of beer.

It's really noticeably in bottles primed with dme...but it is normal...

I actually just actually noticed my first one in one of my batches the other day, I had a couple san pelligrino bottles that I put a couple of saisons in them. And since they were only a few ounces they formed really quick on those too, within only a couple hours after I bottled, and fell by the time I woke up the bext morning.

Vut seriously, especially if you are going to bottle them is clear glass bottles, put them away and don't stare at them...they are not going to look any different except for the krauzen falling" carbewd or n carbed...and they don't need you constant attention and worry...

Just come back to them in 3 weeks at 70 degrees and enjoy them.

Well now I feel like an extreme amateur... I will say though, this top-level krausen has been there for over a week and hasn't begun to fall. I bottled five of those 34oz clear bottles, the rest are in regular dark-glass 12oz bottles... all of them have this layer. I just tilted some of the bottles around a little bit trying to break up that layer. Maybe that will help it fall easier but I promise, I won't touch it anymore. Now I'll sit back and do what I'm told... wait it out.

If it is still there after you wait it out, then you may have an infection issue, and will have to revisit your sanitation practices, especially in the bottling side ...but there's nothing you can do about those now if it is the case.

I got a late onset gushing infection once, and traced it back to my autosiphon.

BUT more than likely it is just a krauzen and will fall through in a few days.

Latest posts

Back