Safale US-05 near 72 hours and no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not really getting how using old dried up hops is anywhere near the same as using yeast as instructed.

Because you would be using half the amount and it is in less-than-optimal condition. And if you read the links I posted, you'll see the manufacturers clearly state that the yeast should be rehydrated before pitching.

For those that want to read empirical evidence of how much dry yeast is impacted by rehydrating in water vs. pitching dry, Sean Terril did cell counts and posted results here: http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/01/dry-yeast-viability/

The cell die-off leaves you with an under-pitched beer, and he posted results of pitch rate experiments here: http://seanterrill.com/2010/05/09/yeast-pitching-rate-results/

have you done both, and you noticed a difference in a 5 gal batch?

I'm not saying that whitecoats are wrong by any means...I'm going with my own experiences.

If I thought that my beer would turn out bad, or I could make it better, I would do it. I mash for 90min, and I boil for 90min...so after all of that work, I wouldn't do something that I felt would cause the beer to fall short.

I just haven't had any differences in the beer I made.

I generally refrain from anecdotal evidence as a means of offering proof, especially when there is empirical data to show it.

But......

Yes, I have done both and noticed a substantial improvement in my beers. When I first started brewing, I never rehydrated. I made beer that was good; very drinkable and enjoyable. When I started learning about rehydrating, I tried it and was blown away by how such a small step could improve my beer. Example: I recently remade a pale ale that was one of my first recipes, and the first time I made it I didn't rehydrate. It was good the first time, but it was great this most recent time. The yeast had a more pronounced flavor in the first batch, which is not at all what I was going for in an APA. Usually you use 05 because you don't want a pronounced yeast profile. The way to achieve that consistently is by rehydrating, pitching the right number of cells, and controlling fermentation temps.

I've remade plenty of my early recipes, and they all taste better when I add rehydrated yeast, but that APA was the most improved.

There are plenty of reasons that yeast will produce flavor compounds, though, and those batches were years apart so it can be very correctly argued that extenuating or unknown circumstances could be the reason for the difference. Further, no one here can say they know my ability to control those conditions. That is where anecdotes break down, and why we should put some stock in what the "whitecoats" tell us, especially when what they say is in agreement with so many other anecdotes from other brewers.

there are many factors that have capacity to effect the character development of a brew.
wort temp while pitching, ferm temps, brewers technique/experience...

Again I will say it...I have pitched both ways, and will continue to (I'm not anti rehyd), and I have not have any noticable differences in the beer.
side by side apa's and irish red ales...no difference has been noticed by the drinkers. If there was a difference/improvement that I noticed...I would make the change...I'm not sure why my methods bother you so much.

to each their own.

there are many factors that have capacity to effect the character development of a brew.
wort temp while pitching, ferm temps, brewers technique/experience...
^This is exactly why I said anecdotal evidence is not the way to try and prove one way or the other. Sean Terril did side-by-side controlled tests that I linked to, and you seem to discount him as a "whitecoat" whose work doesn't have any bearing on real-world brewing. :confused:

It's not that your method bothers me, it's encouraging someone to use what has been shown to be a poor practice that bothers me. The references I have posted are enough for anyone to be able to make their own decision though, so OP I apologize for threadjacking you and I'll make my exit now.

I bake bread and just recently started brewing. My bread rises better when I rehydrate without the sugar in the water. Reading up for brewing verified this IMHO. The yeast aren't ready for the sugar just yet, Think waking up your 6yo and force feeding him oatmeal with a syringe. I see the simplicity of pitching yeast directly on the wort, this eliminates the infection factor. They will wake up but they will need to reproduce longer to make up for the ones that don't survive the pitch. I would guess that the longer the Yeast takes to consume all the oxygen in the wort the more oxidation can occur. More yeast shorter time till they go after the sugars. Either way beer happens, but I'l prefer to boil my water to hydrate the yeast. Table sugar isn't what they will feed on so why confuse them.
They are only single cells, you can only expect so much!!

Well, your previous posts and approach to brewing make a lot more sense now. Enjoy your homebrew.
Oh you got me. That'll learn me to post my experiences.

And obviously the let jebus statement was an attempt to lighten the mood.
I'm okay with my approach, feel sorry that some can not relax a bit and let others do their thing. There is more than one way to do something.

Perhaps next time, the op can just ask you directly instead of posting it up and having others reply with the wrong experiences.

Yeast Nazi's :ban:

Not once did I say that you were wrong.
I explained what I do. It works for me.
I didn't suggest that the links you provided were incorrect.

Jacinthebox said:
I'm okay with my approach, feel sorry that some can not relax a bit and let others do their thing. There is more than one way to do something.

You're free to be willfully ignorant, but the consequences are that those flawed approaches will be exposed for all their faults when debated in a public forum.

The "it works for me" statement is really just anecdotal chatter that must be taken with a grain of salt. It is the flimsiest way to make a argument.

Case in point. Trappiste breweries purposely under pitch to get a more dramtic estery profile. So.. underpitching = esters = not rehydrating yeast pack. Besides under pitching, some of the yeastvthat survives is not healthy and can act in odd ways. This is somewhat offset by increased oxygenation.

Vessal size and shape also effects yeast due to osmotic pressure differances.

Really.. are you guys seriously that lazy?

Read a brewing science book.

I love us05.
I pitch directly on top of aerated wort. In a little pile that floats on the foam. It is my thinking that this is kind of like directly pitching in the most gentile way. As the beer bubbles slowly rehydrate a little at a time.

You're free to be willfully ignorant, but the consequences are that those flawed approaches will be exposed for all their faults when debated in a public forum.

The "it works for me" statement is really just anecdotal chatter that must be taken with a grain of salt. It is the flimsiest way to make a argument.

Thank you for making the Internet a better place. I will try harder next time.

For the record, my argument was that I do it both ways, and the beer has turned out great.

I think I will mash in a brew, rather than debate on the Internet.

First on Race Day! vs Found on Road Dead.
Mostly Old Parts and Rust vs More Outrageous Power At Redline!
Lighten up Francis!!

Latest posts

Back