have hops, need recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrattiracer

Reaction score
So, here is what I have to work with. Kinda new at this still, so looking for some ideas.
1) $25 gift certificate to midwest supplies for a recipe kit (extract).
2) about 3oz of unknown variety leaf hops from some plants at my parents place.
3) I like IPAs (especially northwest style).
I was thinking of getting a pale ale kit of some sort that normally would not have a dry hop, and just making it as per directions but adding the leaf hops after primary fermentation.
thoughts?

3oz of hops right off the plant are hardly anything. Wet hops are used in about a 5/1 ratio compared to dry/pellet hops, so 3 oz of hops right off the plant are equal to about 0.6 oz of pellet hops. That's barly a single addition of an APA. They are going to be relatively subtle as a dryhop addition.

Anyway, that said, can you describe the smell of the hop? Are they citrusy, earthy, spicy, fruity, etc? Having a basic idea of what they are going to do to the beer would dictate what style you'll want to add them to.

Again, unless it's a small batch, you won't get much from those hops. Why not get an APA kit of some sort and then dry-hop with these after 14 days of fermentation has elapsed? The grapefruit aroma would be nice.

3oz of dried hops seems to be within the normal range for a dry hop, at least as far as i have seen in various recipes.
it sounds like my idea of combining with a kit will do as i want though.

Back