Dry hop... when to do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I did a recipe today that says "dry hop 14 days". Does that mean to dry hop 14 days after the fermentation or to dry hop from the start of fermentation until 14 days have passed? Thanks for the help!

Dry hopping should be done after fermentation is complete. I usually wait two weeks to dry hop (assuming FG has been reached and is stable). I would only dry hop for a week before bottling.

Generally, when a recipe says that, it just means that you add your hops to the secondary and keep them in there for 14 days. Then bottle.

It's not a bad idea to dry hop while the yeast are still active, when the gravity is within a few points of being finished. This way the yeast will absorb any oxygen you added with your dry hop addition, and also the active yeast convert some of the hop oils into desirable flavor compounds. Firestone Walker does this, and look at how many GABF medals they've won.

I don't believe that holds true in a home brewing context. I wait till FG is reached & the beer is settled out clear or slightly misty. Then dry hop. Just droping a sack of hop pellets into primary or secondary won't add enough o2 to cause any harm. Works well for me...:mug:

I don't believe that holds true in a home brewing context.

I prefer to base my brewing more on a proven method, than just what a random homebrewer believes to be true. I've never read anything that said adding oxygen to a finished beer is a good thing.

I prefer to base my brewing more on a proven method, than just what a random homebrewer believes to be true. I've never read anything that said adding oxygen to a finished beer is a good thing.

I think the masses of random homebrewers who use that technique without any oxidation problems define a "proven method". But hey, if you want your dry hops a little more bubbly then power to you! :tank:

Back