Wyeast 3711 Slow Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physast

Reaction score
I used this yeast for the first time last Sunday. Took a gravity reading today, 5 days later, and the reading was 1.029. I have been fermenting at 65F. Is this normal for this yeast? Recipe below-->

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 5.85 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.20 gal
OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 66.7 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.4 %
4.8 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.5 %
6.1 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.2 %
10.1 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 15 8.3 %
1.00 oz Lavender, Culinary (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 13 -
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 13.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 9 13.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Grapefruit Zest (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 12 -
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast 14 -
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.5 IBUs
5.00 gal Washington, DC Water 1 -
7.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5 3.7 %
0.50 oz Black peppercorn (Boil 2.0 mins) Spice 11 -

Mash Schedule: Charlie's Mash Profile
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 14.17 qt of water at 163.7 F 153.0 F 60 min

Is it still bubbling away? That does seem slow, but did you do a starter, how long did it take to take off?

There isn't anything peculiar about this yeast that would cause a slow fermentation. How much did you pitch -- did you create a starter or just pitch the package? How fresh was the yeast? You say you are fermenting at 65, which is at the lower range for this strain, but is it a constant 65, or does it cool down below that at night?

BTW, I like your recipe. I may have to try it sometime.

It is still bubbling somewhat. I decided to raise the temp to about 75F to see if it might start fermenting quicker.

I didn't make a starter and only used one pack of the yeast. I also didn't look at the date on the yeast pack, oh well.

We will see how it turns out.

There's your problem, as long as its still going, relax.

Do most people make starters? I have never made a starter before and have never had this problem. Or is this something that should be done with this yeast strain? Of course it could have been an older pack with less viable yeasties.

Do most people make starters? I have never made a starter before and have never had this problem. Or is this something that should be done with this yeast strain? Of course it could have been an older pack with less viable yeasties.

On a beer that 1.066, yes its severely need. Those little yeast guys were/are stressed big time, and will take a while to grow a healthy colony. Next time make a starter.

On a beer that 1.066, yes its severely need. Those little yeast guys were/are stressed big time, and will take a while to grow a healthy colony. Next time make a starter.

Well now I just feel bad for my poor little yeast guys and girls.... :(

live and learn:mug:

You don't have a problem, everything is OK. Raise the temp on your beer, this yeast excels at room temp. (BTW, that's some crazy kitchen-sink recipe you've got there).

In my experience, this yeast finishes too dry. Give it another month at room temp. Please, please report back here with the results.

Good luck.

Starters are a pretty good idea as a general rule of thumb, regardless of the strain of yeast. For one thing, you never know exactly how your yeast pack has been handled. How much time did it spend out of the fridge. Was it allowed to get too warm? What is it's date?

Secondly, when it comes to yeast, more usually is better. I find it is pretty hard to overpitch. You usually get a faster start to your fermentation with a starter (hence the name!).

I also agree you don't have a problem with your beer, however, as long as fermentation is still going. I would lower your temp back down to 65 and just let the yeasties do their thing.

Update: I ramped up the temp to 72.5F and let it set for another 3 days. I just transfered to secondary with the gravity at 1.009. I was thinking about letting ferment out more in the primary, but I need to start my pumpkin ale soon.

I've got a Saison w/ 3711 going right now without a starter. It was a bit slow to get started but it will finish quite dry. Give it some time.

I love this yeast - I don't have to mess with fermentation temps, just leave it at room temp, which is in the low to mid seventies for my apartment, and it ferments fast and dry.

Thinking about using this as a house strain and try experimenting with different styles using just this one yeast. I suppose I would have to play with mash temps to avoid certain styles from getting "too dry" from this yeast.

I would recommend fermenting this yeast in the mid seventies if you want it to work faster. 65 seems too low.

This yeast will ferment the spoon you stir your wort with if you let it..

I usually just let it go a rooom temp (72-73 ish) and it always ferments low.

That rminds me it is about time to brew another Sasion..........

I brewed a pumpkin/butternut squash/sweet potato saison with it two weeks ago. Automne Saison - based on a recipe in Zymurgy from 2008. I think I will try to brew Reaper's Mild with this yeast on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back