Sam Adams Longshot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I've entered onto the calendar the dates for the Sam Adam's Longshot competition (April 15th - May 1st). Since this is a good company that we all tend to agree we like, and since it's a great competition that promotes our hobby, I thought that a few of us could take a stab at entering and getting HBT on the map.

Just to make it interesting, everything I enter will have HBT obfuscated in the title.

Anyone else up to entering their brews?

I thought about entering my IPA, but I suspect they get more IPAs than anything else. I really wish my smoked porter had come out better - that's the kind of beer I would wager ends up winning. Something that's just a little bit unusual...

Somewhere on their site they have a list of last years regional winners.
There are quite a few categories that did not seem to have any entries.

joebou4860 said:
Somewhere on their site they have a list of last years regional winners.
There are quite a few categories that did not seem to have any entries.

I was lookign at that earlier...dark lager seems to be the category to enter. :D

From the winners (and drinking the beer) it seems like marketability plays a role. The three that won last time were styles/flavors that aren't as mainstream. It seems to me that you are going to have to make a creative beep not just a good tasting beer to win. Agree?

Beerrific said:
From the winners (and drinking the beer) it seems like marketability plays a role. The three that won last time were styles/flavors that aren't as mainstream. It seems to me that you are going to have to make a creative beep not just a good tasting beer to win. Agree?

I agree. And I'll bet a lot of great beer got passed up for the marketing too.

I think bird is on the right track...a smoked beer will win next. Prolly a Smoked IPA. ;)

Seems like you should enter your cream ale, from the feedback i have seen on here. Maybe in a few years i will have a beer worth sending off.

Dammit, no smoked beers!

If anyone's interested, Mike McDole's Imperial IPA recipe was featured on the Jamil show a while back - I think it actually WAS the recipe that Jamil used for that episode.

Back