Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I hate to be posting again but images attached.

- There was nothing except a small white fleck on the surface when I added the hops for dry hopping
- Hop bag was boiled (a lot) before adding hops and placing in fermenter
- Surface is oil-like. Definitely a layer of something that's appeared in the last 7 days. Bubbles crusty looking
- FG is 1.010

Is it even worth bottling?

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Well I hate to be posting again but images attached.

- There was nothing except a small white fleck on the surface when I added the hops for dry hopping
- Hop bag was boiled (a lot) before adding hops and placing in fermenter
- Surface is oil-like. Definitely a layer of something that's appeared in the last 7 days. Bubbles crusty looking
- FG is 1.010

Is it even worth bottling?

All of those hops and the bag sitting above the beer line, and in the now oxygen-filled headspace, are pretty good breeding ground for bacteria. Even if you did boil, you still handled the bag afterward didn't you? You more than likely let it cool as well right? Even though the hops are said to be anti-microbial in nature, there are still some bacteria and wild yeast that can live on those things. Most of the time that wouldn't be a problem when dry-hopping, but in this case, you've given them enough oxygen at the top to start going. What was your FG before dry-hopping? Was it still stable a week later?

If you did bottle, hopefully you went ahead and decided to under-carb it a bit. The bacteria will most definitely continue to eat away at the sugars while in the bottle. There's not much you can do to avoid that besides under-carbing it, refrigerating immediately after it's finished carbonating, and consuming quickly.

Can I ask why you don't just throw the hops directly in if you've gotten another infection from this, and obviously know it's an easy source of infection (going off of the context of your post)?

@mattcass
I can assure you that is infected. No one can say for sure with what, but it certainly looks like the start of every mixed brett fermentation I have done.

You now have a situation on your hands. The bottles will either become overcarbed or explode and send shards of glass to every corner of the room you are storing them in. I would take precaution on put the bottles in some sort of container asap.

Thanks. The hop bag wasnt the source of the last infection, it was an uncleaned spigot from the fermentation bucket. I'd previously used the bag multiple times without issue but from now on its loose hops and loose hops only.

Thanks. The hop bag wasnt the source of the last infection, it was an uncleaned spigot from the fermentation bucket. I'd previously used the bag multiple times without issue but from now on its loose hops and loose hops only.

And also make sure you're taking apart the spigot and cleaning it real well after every batch. I use a toothbrush to make sure I can get into most nooks.

Here is my amber ale after a week in primary. it just looks like bits of the krausen to me, but it seems like they shouldn't be there? this is my first bucket brew so not sure what to expect. thanks for help and input.

i took a hydrometer reading at this point (which was 3 days ago) and came out at 1.014, so it has definitely been doing some work

image1.jpg

Here is my amber ale after a week in primary. it just looks like bits of the krausen to me, but it seems like they shouldn't be there? this is my first bucket brew so not sure what to expect. thanks for help and input.

w3zOIPv

Can't see the first one. Second one is just yeast. Not unusual after only a week in primary.

This is freaking hilarious!! I love it! Man you must have hella batches fermenting to forget one for two years! Lmao! Thanks for the pic!

LOL Not so much that I forgot about it for two years. That was an exaggeration, but it was sitting there for 2 years and every week I was like... ehhhhh, Ill take care of it next week. 104 weeks later and we have this! I actually moved it the week I took the picture to dump it.. and its still not dumped...

I don't think this looks all that weird, what I'm not sure what to think of is the portion that looks like dried, fragmented mud. Anyone seen anything like this before? It's an ESB that came back to life after about 2.5 weeks and as of right now it tastes pretty dang good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30832809@N08/26160495742/in/album-72157666807479375/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30832809@N08/25980091750/in/album-72157666807479375/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30832809@N08/25980101290/in/album-72157666807479375/

Thoughts?

I don't think this looks all that weird, what I'm not sure what to think of is the portion that looks like dried, fragmented mud. Anyone seen anything like this before? It's an ESB that came back to life after about 2.5 weeks and as of right now it tastes pretty dang good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30832809@N08/26160495742/in/album-72157666807479375/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30832809@N08/25980091750/in/album-72157666807479375/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30832809@N08/25980101290/in/album-72157666807479375/

Thoughts?

Is that the active fermentation with krausen? Could be yeast and other goodies if it kicked off for a second time.

Is that the active fermentation with krausen? Could be yeast and other goodies if it kicked off for a second time.

Yeah that's the weird thing. I pitched the yeast about 3.5 weeks ago and it was active for about 4 days. Totally normal. But because the gravity hadn't stabilized I left it in there - but there was no bubbling or visible activity for about two weeks straight. It was just doing it's silent work.

Then about a week ago it started bubbling again and developed a small froth on top. It looked normal to me so I left it. I took these pics yesterday and gave it taste test. Tastes normal, looks like the bottom of a dried up lake.

Not an infection story - more of a bullet dodged. I had just finished bottling my coffee milk stout and was kicking back enjoying a brew and suddenly had a sinking feeling in my gut. I had forgotten to sanitize my bottling hose and filler. Thankfully I got away with it in terms of no infection. Unfortunately, the beer simply isn't very good.

Checked on some bottles found one of my cream ales with odd patch on the side of the bottle.
None of the other batch show signs?
Infected batch or did bottle cause infection?
View attachment 349068

Thats just the mountain. Did it turn blue when it was super cold?

kidding. Yeah, that one looks like a bottle infection. You would notice a little pellicle in the other bottles too otherwise.

Thats just the mountain. Did it turn blue when it was super cold?

kidding. Yeah, that one looks like a bottle infection. You would notice a little pellicle in the other bottles too otherwise.

Is it still drinkable?

Yep. Chill the bottle well. Open it over the sink. Pour into a glass if you can and give it a whiff. Taste it. If it tasted okay drink it otherwise dump it.

Nothing pathogenic can survive I'm beer due to the pH and alcohol. All that could really happen is it tastes terrible. Gove it a go. Otherwise dump the bottle anyway. Last think you want is for it to explode.

How long have they been in bottles? You may want to put the others inside something that could contain the shrapnel just in case it is not just a bottle infection.

Thoughts?

I am no expert but I have to ask. This is what was left after you packaged your beer right? That just looks like yeast/trub to me with some escaped CO2 as well. Basically you will get sludge on the bottom of your fermenter under the beer which consists of proteins, yeast (living and dead as it really reproduces during teh beginning stages of fermentation) hop debris, etc.

No worries. Homebrew is rather forgiving.

I delable with an oxy clean soak. Then rinse.
The rinse with San-star prior to bottling .

That "adhesive" looking stuff is on the inside not outside!

I was about to say that could be a good point. It does look like it could have been leftover adhesive/paper, but it could also be a bottle pellicle. Either way, worst case you lose a bottle of beer.

I am no expert but I have to ask. This is what was left after you packaged your beer right? That just looks like yeast/trub to me with some escaped CO2 as well. Basically you will get sludge on the bottom of your fermenter under the beer which consists of proteins, yeast (living and dead as it really reproduces during teh beginning stages of fermentation) hop debris, etc.

No worries. Homebrew is rather forgiving.

Quite the contrary, actually. This is the top of my 3 gallon batch of ESB with all 3 gallons still in there. Nothing has been bottled. This is what the beer looks like inside the fermenter as it stands right now. It looks like krausen but I just was not sure, hence my posting here. On monday I opened it up and it smelled/tasted good still. So I dunno what's going on with this one.

Quite the contrary, actually. This is the top of my 3 gallon batch of ESB with all 3 gallons still in there. Nothing has been bottled. This is what the beer looks like inside the fermenter as it stands right now. It looks like krausen but I just was not sure, hence my posting here. On monday I opened it up and it smelled/tasted good still. So I dunno what's going on with this one.

Pretty sure it's just normal krausen. I think I've tried to brew an ESB with 1968 two or three times before and it took me a while before I realized the yeast is so flocculent, it flocs out before it finishes. This has manifested for me with a weird (flavor), hazy (crystal clear at bottling), overcarb-ey bottle situation in at least two of these batches.

Dunno what yeast you used, but could possibly be what's happening here and some sort of environmental change (ambient temp rise?) is taking the place of a manual gentle rousing or two of the yeast.

Pretty sure it's just normal krausen. I think I've tried to brew an ESB with 1968 two or three times before and it took me a while before I realized the yeast is so flocculent, it flocs out before it finishes. This has manifested for me with a weird (flavor), hazy (crystal clear at bottling), overcarb-ey bottle situation in at least two of these batches.

Dunno what yeast you used, but could possibly be what's happening here and some sort of environmental change (ambient temp rise?) is taking the place of a manual gentle rousing or two of the yeast.

Thanks for weighing in. This is essentially what I've been thinking but I wanted someone to confirm/reinforce my opinion. The environment temp has been steady. What Drunkle said actually sparked a thought - perhaps a reactivation of the yeast brought up a lot of the trub that was at the bottom, and the activity is keeping it afloat.

The yeast I used was Inland Island London Ale Yeast: http://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-303-London-Ale-I/

I'm going to kick back and let this beer do it's thing for a while longer. I'll post an update this weekend.

can this be oil from spice (orange peel, coriander, anise star)?

i haven't noticed it when i moved to secondary (the fermentation wasn't completed)
i saw it after one week in secondary and i left it another week but i haven't noticied change)

the last photo is to show that is not something thick

thanks

2016-04-07 17.34.28.jpg

2016-04-07 17.34.15.jpg

2016-04-07 17.33.42.jpg

@Nico93 looks fine to me, some of my beers have that on top depending on the light and the recipe.

I was going to post my infection, but it was difficult to even look at. Besides, the prescription cream I used cleared it up before I could get a picture of it.

I would like to have an experienced opinion about my brew. I have only 6 brews under my belt, so I have still quite much learning to do.

I have wondered the oily residuals which are floating on my brew. These residuals has not grown or transformed during the fermentation - they has been there right after the 'krausen' was settled.

Pic1: 5th brew - 18 days old batch
pic2: 5th brew - same as pic1 - light source pointing from downwards
pic3: 6th brew - 10 days old batch (yeast is still moving)
-sorry for the bad picture quality-

Both batches are Maris otter based all-grain pale ales and quite hoppy ones - hops added especially for aroma. Temperature has been 17-20C (63-68F) during the fermentation.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale was used. Starter was good and healthy even after 8 days (brew 6 was started at this point). Used sanitizer was star san.

Thank you in advance! And sorry if I used wrong terms ;)

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

Latest posts

Back