Apparently neighbors actually call the cops on "meth labs"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldnt be suprised to hear this happening to a few homebrewers, especially in a area that its not as popular

Wouldnt be suprised to hear this happening to a few homebrewers, especially in a area that its not as popular

It DOES happen to homebrewers, there's been several threads on it. Including one by a buddy of mine was measuring out and vacuum packaging his huge bulk hop order in front of a sunny window (like someone packaging pot would be doing in in front of a window :rolleyes:.)

The funny part of it was that he's a Police Dispatcher and all the cops know him....

God that has to be one of the most annoying "news" broadcast I've ever head....is that how Yahoo does news? Is that the state of modern journalism these days? I've heard High School video journalism class projects that were more professional.

my apartment complex wouldn't repair something in my apartment because they saw my brewing equipment and said i was running a distillery out of my apartment... i immediately asked for the maint. supervisor to meet me at my apartment and he immediately saw their mistake.

its' ridiculous the amount of crap we go through.

Just for fun I like to do all of my brewing in the kitchen with the windows wide open. I have a few nosy neighbors who are interested in my new found hobby but can't figure out exactly what I am doing in my kitchen.

Recently I find myself weighing my hops and DME on one of these scales just to give them something to talk about.

scale-58042.jpg

Also, due to the nature of my job I rarely ever leave my house.

This helps to heighten their curiosity and suspicions.

Nice! As it happens, I have 20 gallons of maple sap I'll be boiling down on Monday. No worries though, my neighbors are all familiar with my HB activities.

It DOES happen to homebrewers, there's been several threads on it. Including one by a buddy of mine was measuring out and vacuum packaging his huge bulk hop order in front of a sunny window (like someone packaging pot would be doing in in front of a window :rolleyes:.)

The funny part of it was that he's a Police Dispatcher and all the cops know him....

God that has to be one of the most annoying "news" broadcast I've ever head....is that how Yahoo does news? Is that the state of modern journalism these days? I've heard High School video journalism class projects that were more professional.

I dont know what is worse, the "journalists" on yahoo or the morons who comment below. I have actually been able to make myself feel an iota better about really sad tidings (ie woman who died in her car because of snow in the exhaust pipe) by telling myself she was a yahoo news commenter.

"Shut up... then what happened" I'd have gotten booted out of my high school ROP AV class for putting together a news segment like that. I couldn't watch past 30 seconds of it.

It's a shame her neighbors are stupid enough to believe that you can make meth from trees, but I can understand why the LEO's had to investigate.

Revvy said:

I can see how that would happen. We did a hop buy as part of the last grain buy - it was the sketchiest looking legal endeavor I've ever been a part of - 22# of hops, multiple scales, Mylar bags, and a bunch of guys dressed for lugging grain around.

And +1 on yahoo news sucking hardcore.

A buddy of mine stopped by one brewday and sitting on my table was a digital gram scale with the calcium carbonate on it so I could adjust my brewing water. I looked over just in time to see him get this real surprised look on his face. I let him go for a few min before I tossed him the bottle labeled chalk, and ask him to put it on the shelf.

Those neighbors and I would have had the old "why you should mind your own gd business" discussion in short order. But alas, that's probably part of the reason I live out in the country away from such nonsense and idiocy.

The last time the jehovah witnesses or baptists or whoever they were stopped by was about ten years ago, they were greeted with an m4 carbine and asked nicely to leave the property. Strangely they haven't been back since so I don't believe their faith is very strong, I don't get many trick or treaters either.

Just heard an interview with her on the cbc....Evidently it was her neighbors who called it in, seems like there might be a bit of a neighbor vs neighbor dispute.

Evidently when the cops arrived and she realized what was going on she sent the main officer over to the treeline where the "meth buckets" were, when he saw they were maple taps and he opened one, she said that this is what the cop did.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

Seriously, I mean it, I think cops should be able to write one a citation for wasting their time.

That or put the call, with the name of the person who called it in, in the police blotter portion of the paper.

"Sally Herpderp, 53, of Possum Cornhole Flats, called in a "meth lab" that turned out to be obvious maple syrup production. Ms. Herpderp was unavailable for comment following the incident, but I think we can all agree that the shame she should be feeling is palpable."

Seriously, I mean it, I think cops should be able to write one a citation for wasting their time.

That or put the call, with the name of the person who called it in, in the police blotter portion of the paper.

"Sally Herpderp, 53, of Possum Cornhole Flats, called in a "meth lab" that turned out to be obvious maple syrup production. Ms. Herpderp was unavailable for comment following the incident, but I think we can all agree that the shame she should be feeling is palpable."

Heck yes. And I happen to believe that anyone living in a possums cornhole is not to be trusted :D

There are quite a few places that a person can be held liable for wasting police dollars when they make bogus calls. It's generally counterproductive as the cost of enforcing it is usually more that what is recouped. You can get a ticket for improper us of the 911 system, too. I see that one all the time.

I don't really have neighbors but my pizza guy delivered while I was brewing and said, "holy ****, are you brewing beer?" I told him I was and he asked if he could drop by after he delivered his last pizza. He came back over and chilled with us and asked a bunch of questions. I referred him to my lhbs and he tells me his is brewing himself, now. Never had the cops called, though.

I don't really have neighbors but my pizza guy delivered while I was brewing and said, "holy ****, are you brewing beer?" I told him I was and he asked if he could drop by after he delivered his last pizza. He came back over and chilled with us and asked a bunch of questions. I referred him to my lhbs and he tells me his is brewing himself, now. Never had the cops called, though.

Thats awesome, both that he was interested and that you were willing to help out a stranger who was interested. .

The last time the jehovah witnesses or baptists or whoever they were stopped by was about ten years ago, they were greeted with an m4 carbine and asked nicely to leave the property. Strangely they haven't been back since so I don't believe their faith is very strong, I don't get many trick or treaters either.

Assaulting good-intentioned strangers is a fun and exciting way to exercise your constitutional rights!

daksin said:
Assaulting good-intentioned strangers is a fun and exciting way to exercise your constitutional rights!

Well, I should probably explain further as I'm sure it does seem a little too Ted Nugent at this point.

I actually never "brandished" the weapon, it was simply strapped down to the gun rack on front of my atv. I will say though that as soon as the noticed it they almost backed off in a creek they were in such a hurry to leave, there's more to the story but rest assured there was no provocation or posturing involved.

That said, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I found it very funny at the time and still consider it a fond memory today. So i guess you could certainly say it was entertaining to me. I do have two questions for you though...

What makes you think they had good intentions and how do you think they were assaulted?

Back