Yeast at bucket bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
What can one do with the yeast that is spent at the bucket bottoms after a transfer? I just wash it out and pitch it into my backyard.:drunk:

Wash and store those yeasties and reuse in several batches to come, this is a great way to save money too.

SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST!, . . come on everyone join in . . alltogether now . . . SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST!:ban::ban::ban::ban:

SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST!, . . come on everyone join in . . alltogether now . . . SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST! SAVE THE YEAST!:ban::ban::ban::ban:

I'll send you mine. I'm a lazy brewer with not much space to work in. It's just not worth it to me. I may not get a consistent product through partial/extract brewing, but I don't run the risk of having a bad/ruined batch either. But I might do it to help out a fellow brewer if he wants it.

Well if its a liquid yes but its really not worth it for dry yeast. I keep 10-15 packs at all times .

I wash the cake and re-use it for a few generations. I have even re-used dry yeast, the large quantity is great for pitching into a high gravity beer.

Once the yeast is a few generations old, or if it's a strain I don't plan on re-using, or it's from a high gravity wort :drunk: I find the shrub in the yard that looks like it could use some fertilizer and dump the whole cake on it. Inevitably the shrub perks right up within a week. :)

Latest posts

Back