Brewing Jamils Wit, should I add spices in a hop bag or just throw em in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Hi,

In the past when I've brewed wit's, I usually throw the spices/orange in a hop bag and pull out after the cooling is done, but I've been thinking, would it be so bad to leave them in? Thoughts?

The sooner I get your thoughts the better since this is mashing now!

Thanks,
1/2Pint

I've never used a bag and likely never will.

I always felt like if it's a spice that's gonna dissolve in beer, it'll dissolve through that bag, and if it's larger spices like coriander or orange peel, it's gonna settle out within a few days anyway, so what's the point? One possible exception would be dry hopping with a ton of hops, since that tends to be a pain in the ass because it clogs your racking cane. Even still I don't use one, just one less thing to buy and keep on hand.

+1 on cvstrat. Just chuck those suckers in! I stopped fumbling with hop bags and such long ago. Just helps to smooth out your brew day. Anything and everything I have ever put into a batch, during boil or otherwise, has always eventually made it to the bottom while in primary or secondary. I guess the trade off is you would have to wait longer for it to settle. But unless you are trying to go from grain to glass STAT, it wouldn't be a problem. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

It's funny, my first thought when I saw the title of this post was "Weird, someone is making a wit in October??", but then I thought that is the great thing about this hobby, you don't have to make a style just because it is supposedly "in season". You can really do anything you want in this hobby! I love it! Brew on, HalfPint!

Yep, I'm brewing a wit not in summer, but in fall. Hey, here in Texas, it's summer all year. Also, it's a style that will please other family members when they come into town this holiday season.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm also making a spiced beer today as well.

I guess I'll just throw all the stuff in there.

Back