Does Vortex Size Matter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I made a stir plate based on some of the designs I've seen here on the forum using the standard hard drive magnet and fan. It has worked great for making starter for 5 gallon batches, but I recently bumped up to 10 gallon batches which require a much larger starter. I moved the magnet and now the stir plate works with a 1 gallon jug. The vortex only goes about half way down the water. Is this a problem? Am I getting any oxygen into the starter with the use of a stir plate or is it simply to keep the yeast in suspension?

Thanks for the help!!!

I made a stir plate based on some of the designs I've seen here on the forum using the standard hard drive magnet and fan. It has worked great for making starter for 5 gallon batches, but I recently bumped up to 10 gallon batches which require a much larger starter. I moved the magnet and now the stir plate works with a 1 gallon jug. The vortex only goes about half way down the water. Is this a problem? Am I getting any oxygen into the starter with the use of a stir plate or is it simply to keep the yeast in suspension?

Thanks for the help!!!

That's plenty. I never set mine to do more than that. In fact, a big vortex does nothing for you. You just want to keep the yeast in suspension. The movement is enough.

I think you are keeping the yeast in suspension and exposing new liquid surface to uptake oxygen; possibly helping to outgas CO2 as well. All things that help grow the cell count. Just turning the liquid over should do it, no huge vortex required.

I like to see a vortex but I don't believe that it is necessary. I frequently don't see one because the sediment collects on the bottom and becomes too thick at times. I have found that when this happens, if you give the flask a good swirl counterclockwise for about 30 seconds then quickly place the flash on the stirplate (after centering the magnet first by going North South East West) that you can get a pretty good sustained vortex going for quite a long time. I normally make 2000ml starters. Montanaandy

Latest posts

Back