Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have issues with tons of large yeast rafts sitting in suspension with US 05? When I racked to the bottling bucket you could see debris from the top to the bottom in various amounts. Is that a typical characteristic of the strain? 2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary at 60°-64° entire time. OG of 1.07 and FG of 1.015.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch BIAB and forgot to sanitize the O2 wand before aerating the first of two fermenters... Went to bottle it this past weekend and it had this funky stuff on top that stuck to the sides of the fermenter as I started to drain it. I included a picture of its twin that had a sanitized fermenter for comparison, it's much cleaner... Just hope I haven't made any bottle bombs... Anyone have a guess as to what the funky skin like substance may be?

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

That broken ice-pack stuff was an infection getting started.

An infection getting started? It was in the fermenter for a month, how much more time did it need to "get started"? Or did the alcohol kill the infection?

As far as the FG, I didn't take a reading because I let it sit in the fermenter for a month (active fermentation ended in the first week, left it in the fermenter to clarify).

Did I taste them? As far as I can tell they are similar in taste but the "infected" one had a slightly stronger odor to it which I'm at a loss for words to describe. It's like it had a stronger alcohol smell or something strong like it that I can't exactly describe. It's in the bottle so I'll try one at the end of the week to see what it tastes like.

I'm more upset that I forgot to sanitise the O2 wand than I am at loosing over 5 gallons of beer... Such a simple stupid mistake to make and so easily avoidable...

:(

Yup, the ice-pack batch is definitely infected. Once the bottles carb up, I would refrigerate them (to slow the infection) and drink them quickly, as there is indeed a risk of bottle-bombs. That's assuming you like the flavour. If not, then uncap them and dump them, as if you store them at room temperature and forget about them, they WILL eventually explode.

So, you're saying I might get my first gushers... great...

Well, I had to screw up at some point, it only took a year :)

:mug:

Anyone have issues with tons of large yeast rafts sitting in suspension with US 05? When I racked to the bottling bucket you could see debris from the top to the bottom in various amounts. Is that a typical characteristic of the strain? 2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary at 60°-64° entire time. OG of 1.07 and FG of 1.015.

FYI, here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 1462392349901.jpg

I've used Safale US-05 many times and any yeast raft's I've had usually sunk eventually. I had some stick around a couple of times till I tapped the fermenter and then they decided to sink... After a month I've never really seen large amounts of "floaters"...

I've used Safale US-05 many times and any yeast raft's I've had usually sunk eventually. I had some stick around a couple of times till I tapped the fermenter and then they decided to sink... After a month I've never really seen large amounts of "floaters"...

It was strange. I literally watched tiny balls float back up to the surface from the yeast cake with little trails of bubbles following all the way up. I assume that is fairly normal behavior, although a little out of place at 3 weeks after pitching. You think refrigerating the bottles should get em to knock down after conditioning?

Hello everyone, I've found this on secondary while I transferring to my bottling bucket.

Notice the white spots on the krausen collar and the little "oil" stains on beer.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

I tasted the beer 3 days prior to bottling and it tasted and smelled great.

For the record, this batch of IPA had 100 grams of pellet hops used in dry hopping for about 10 days.

Should I worry?

So I'm having my first run-in with what I think it a contaminated IPA.

It was racked from primary to secondary, where we dry-hopped it. Krausen in primary looked great, no issues. No visible krausen in secondary.

We transferred it from secondary into a keg, and then ran it through a filter and into a second keg. purged the headspace with a little CO2 and let it set for a day or so to reabsorb diacetyls. Everything was fine, nothing developed on the top of the beer.

I realized too late that I needed the keg that the IPA was in. Since it wasn't carbonated yet, I transferred it out of the keg back into a glass carboy.

This is where stuff goes south. The carboy is glass and was sanitized with Star San prior to racking, however, I didn't wash it because I was positive I had done that before putting it away and I was in a hurry. I the carboy in the ferm chamber with an airlock on April 30th.

Then some stuff started to develop...

May 4th
uc

May 5th
uc

uc

May 11th
uc

uc

I'm afraid to taste it. I don't know anything about botulism other than I don't want it. Anyone care to weigh in here?

Last edited:
So I'm having my first run-in with what I think it a contaminated IPA.

It was racked from primary to secondary, where we dry-hopped it. Krausen in primary looked great, no issues. No visible krausen in secondary.

We transferred it from secondary into a keg, and then ran it through a filter and into a second keg. purged the headspace with a little CO2 and let it set for a day or so to reabsorb diacetyls. Everything was fine, nothing developed on the top of the beer.

I realized too late that I needed the keg that the IPA was in. Since it wasn't carbonated yet, I transferred it out of the keg back into a glass carboy.

This is where stuff goes south. The carboy is glass and was sanitized with Star San prior to racking, however, I didn't wash it because I was positive I had done that before putting it away and I was in a hurry. I the carboy in the ferm chamber with an airlock on April 30th.

Then some stuff started to develop...

May 4th
0B_h5pYo8ZgjTMEVDM1dzd3ljdDMzZzJmTjhkRGhSMmFxM0Vv

May 5th
0B_h5pYo8ZgjTSm5TSVB1Y0p0Yzg2Vk4xYWdyYllrSURfanhz

0B_h5pYo8ZgjTTGswRkJmVGVpcWFjTF9MZXVlR3h1cXd5ams0

May 11th
0B_h5pYo8ZgjTX3l0RHRuTFhOWTdpcHpOY2NNTlhQYkZOdDZF

0B_h5pYo8ZgjTMVVQOWQ2VGRaZllod01iVmo4UDFSU0pvbW5J

I'm afraid to taste it. I don't know anything about botulism other than I don't want it. Anyone care to weigh in here?

None of those pictures work.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I brought my IPA upstairs from the cellar to bottle it, and I saw this. Is it my first infection? I took a gravity reading just the other day, and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

IMAG0568.jpg

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I brought my IPA upstairs from the cellar to bottle it, and I saw this. Is it my first infection? I took a gravity reading just the other day, and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Don't see anything wrong in there.

Don't see anything wrong in there.
Just off-gassing bubbles from the yeast cake moving in transit, right?
I was only worried because it took >4 weeks to finish fermentation, and the surface *had* been totally clear. Also, it had been fermenting fairly close to my sour.
But like I said, I suspected I was just being paranoid.

Pictures from my post should work now. I'd really like to know if this thing is salvageable.

Stone makes a brett IPA, so you can try it if you want to see if it still tastes okay.

Just remember anything plastic that touches that beer shouldn't be used again in non infected beers.

Just off-gassing bubbles from the yeast cake moving in transit, right?
I was only worried because it took >4 weeks to finish fermentation, and the surface *had* been totally clear. Also, it had been fermenting fairly close to my sour.
But like I said, I suspected I was just being paranoid.

You are! :mug:

Noticed these round colonies forming at the top of my primary fermenter. Are they yeast colonies or an infection?

image.jpg

Looks like an infection. Taste it, it won't kill you.

I tasted the beer and it tasted fine to me. My assumption is that as long as the pH is below 5.5, I don't have to worry about botulism, but what other baddies might I be encountering with this beer looking the way it does? If it tastes fine, do I just go ahead and bottle?

I can't believe I'm doing this, but is this the beginnings of an infection? I'm thinking yeast rafts, but the beer went from clear to this between weeks 4 and 5 in fermentor. It was sticky sticky and clung to sides of the spiedel as I racked and the bubbles were thick and unpoppable.

Let me also say this is bottled and I don't care if its an infection because it was delicious and I'm drinking it, but it did have a rich cherry/stone fruit taste to it that wasn't there a week ago. All I want to know is whether I need to worry about my cold side equipment for future brews.

7IPMTZR.jpg

I can't believe I'm doing this, but is this the beginnings of an infection? I'm thinking yeast rafts, but the beer went from clear to this between weeks 4 and 5 in fermentor. It was sticky sticky and clung to sides of the spiedel as I racked and the bubbles were thick and unpoppable.

Let me also say this is bottled and I don't care if its an infection because it was delicious and I'm drinking it, but it did have a rich cherry/stone fruit taste to it that wasn't there a week ago. All I want to know is whether I need to worry about my cold side equipment for future brews.

7IPMTZR.jpg
Doesn't look infected to me, but if you want to be extra-safe, just give your gear an extra-long soak in the ol' StarSan.

Latest posts

Back