Oh well (4 months wasted)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Well, i've had my Rochefort 10 clone aging and bottled for about 4 months now and couldn't wait to try it fully carbed and aged. I have tried one or two here and there to see how it was coming along and it seemed pretty good (although not at all like rochefort 10). Tried one tonight and while it's not a bad beer you can REALLY REALLY taste the extract in it (this was my second batch so i hadn't started PM yet). The beer came in at 11% abv so i used a WHOLE lot of extract. Kinda disappointing that i spent so long aging this beer and it didn't turn out that great. Oh well. My PM beers i do now turn out REALLY good and i think i'm going to move to AG when i move up to MD in late august (getting stationed there and originally from there too) if i can find someone to help teach me. I already have the wort chiller and my dad has an extra turkey frier with 10 gallon pot so that is a good start. Maybe i will make another Rochefort 10 clone when i get up there although this time do AG or PM.

I wouldnt say they are wasted, just bring them up to MA with you and let them age. If not drop them off in Abilene with me! LOL

bury them under your basement. that's what i did with my last extract dark strong ale. i'm opening it up in October. that's nearly 18 months from brew day. last bottle i sampled (just before i buried them) was pretty good. four months in they were crap.

just put 'em somewhere and forget about them for a LLOOOONNNGG time. you'll thank yourself later.

besides that, you may have just had one bad bottle ;)

4 months is too young even for a well brewed AG beer like that. Plan on another round of sampling around labor day, and seriously consuming during the holidays.

BM beat me to it, but I agree that 4 months at 11% is not nearly enough time...you are WAY too impatient, my friend. ;)

Drop them off at my place and I'll hold on to them for a couple of years for you...;)

As an example...Chimay is in the bottle for 18 months prior to them being ready for sale.

Yeah, for a big beer like that, you need to age it more.

I hate waiting, that's why I brew session beers.

Like the masters have said, set it and forget it for a year+. Then be critical, But I'll bet one DOLLAR your like it.

Back