Brooklyn Brew Shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
What's your experience been? I think mine's going okay, had me use actual grain to get the wort, and instructions online felt like they were missing something near the end of the brewing process (but I'm a newb, so...). Good variety as far as mixes, but not many available for sale right now, must be a seasonal thing.

Their kits look a bit pricey to me. I guess the additional 1 gallon carboy, airlock, and racking equipment bring the value up. Still, I don't know that adding 15-20 dollars of equipment makes this a good value. 20-25 dollars for a gallon of beer...

I started brewing on these and they are kind of a waste of time and effort. The instructions are pretty bad and customer service is non-existant. The kits are pretty pricey too, you'd be better off buying grain, hops, yeast from your LHBS.

And getting about 8 beers with the same amount of time and almost the same price it takes to make 45 beers? Not worth it.

I wish I had just started on partial mash extract brewing, or just gone right to all grain 5 gallon batches.

Great, I purchased this kit and a few refills so I can learn the craft. I liked the idea of small 1 gallon batches as I live in a small place. How was the quality of the finished beer?

I am a walk in customer. They are between my main office and my field office. A little pricey but I can call ahead and be in and out in 2 min. This is a plus because parking is difficult. Yeast is fresh. Dates have never been beyond a month old. Often only a week old. Bulk grain is on par with other shops $55 Domestic $75 imported.

I'll chime in my experience...

I started with one of their kits... now before actually brewing with it... I went and got a couple of other items after perusing the forums here...

BUT... I found the directions very easy to follow..

Now my problem was my water wasn't very good.... so the beer came out pretty nice, but quickly turned as the off flavors started showing up.

I've since helped a friend get started who bought one of their kits. I went over and brewed with him.... and the beer came out great... of course I was able to walk him through everything and make sure his water was good and he had a spot for fermentation.

Yes, it is more expensive... but its a pretty good place to start.

I've moved up to making 2-2.5 gallon recipes, so now I buy most ingredients from my LHBS... but I do have their book and have enjoyed some of the recipes.... easy part is just doubling them!

So I had a question about the kit I just got today for Christmas and emailed them. The replied already, on Christmas, top notch service IMO. Just my 2¢.

Not to be confused with Brooklyn Brew Shop, I assume. They're still very much in business, and they have a Galaxy IPA kit, and a limited-edition Dandelion Gruit.

I'm actually taste-testing their Warrior IIPA, my first homebrew in nearly two years, and it's actually pretty good. It isn't correctly carbonated, but I was using palm sugar, and I didn't want to accidentally send shards of glass into my hand.

Back