Bad Backs + Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJ

Reaction score
I haven't invested in a carboy yet. My first (and only, so far) batch I just used a bucket for primary fermentation and never racked. However, I want to get a few carboys for other projects I want to start, like cider and mead, and I imagine someday I might try secondary fermentation with a beer.

The thing is that my back is kind of awful if I push it too hard. I'm in nursing school right now and I really can't afford to abuse my back as I have in the past. What are some solutions to the uber-heavy carboy that others with bad backs have come up with?

Would it be terrible to have, say, a three- and two-gallon fermenter instead of a five gallon?

I do have a husband who is more than willing to move things around for me, which has worked great. But I'd still like to see if I can come up with a solution that works for me so I can work without needing him to move things.

I know it's more of a laugh than anything, and these things are not very common, but you could procure a small Motorcycle Engine Hoist; hooking that to a Brew Hauler (a nylon carboy harnesses) and then just wheel it around the house. :D

As a motorcycle tech. I have one of these little hoists but I only use it for cycles because they are hard to come by. If I had another, though, I would be using it for my carboys right now!

If you're using glass carboys, you might consider Better Bottles. They're significantly lighter, and when combined with the previously mentioned Brew Hauler, they're rather easy to move around.

I was thinking of making a roll around cart with swivel wheels on it about the height of my fermenter stand. It'd make it easier to slide down off the kitchen counter,& over onto the brew stand. I was just thinking of a hoist sort of thing made with 4x4's & some of those metal brackets you nail/screw through to stiffen joints. With a spool & crank,some nylon rope,& pulleys you could fashion a hoist good enough for our purposes.

I'm a nursing student too here in Michigan and I know exactly what you mean as far as saving your back is concerned.

I use carboys for all of my fermenting, but if you are just going to secondary primarily, I would suggest an inexpensive hand truck from Harbor Freight or the like. You can rack to the carboy on the floor and then just transfer the carboy to what ever location with the hand truck afterward. By all means, get your hubby involved if you are ever in doubt. Full carboys weigh 40lbs and you know from your studies anything over 50lbs requires a two-man lift.

Good luck with your studies!! I am graduating in December and have much respect for your situation.

Forgot about harbor freight & salvage. We have one over in Parma (suburb of Cleveland). Have to take a look myself. They have hoists,compressors,etc. Lots of things that'll work if ya let it...

Pickup a cheap kitchen island/microwave cart to put the fermenter on. Although that will only work if you're fermenting on the same floor as the kitchen. Get your hubby to do the heavy lifting. OR get one of the backk support braces that movers use. Plus lift with your legs for crying-out-loud.

I've had a bad back for most of my life, so I've learned what I can get away with and not F myself up. If you can't lift/carry the full primary, then get hubby to do it those days/times. Of course you can get some mechanical assistance if you wish. Since I ferment in the basement, and brew a floor above, using mechanical means to move the fermenter isn't an option for me. I do hope that I'll have a better setup when I move to my next place.

Get hubby more involved in brewing. That way it's easier to get him to do the parts you can't, or shouldn't.

Sounds like a dumb waiter would be handy for you kitchen to basement folks. I thought about the microwave cart at 1st. Not a bad idea. As long as no lifting/hefting the weight to move it up or down to the intended location. Trying to come up with something myself to take the stress off a bad L2 disc.

For same level/floor moving, how about a hand-truck/dolly (steel or thick aluminum) with a metal base plate conected to a winch? It could take a little design work, but it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Fetus said:
If you're using glass carboys, you might consider Better Bottles. They're significantly lighter, and when combined with the previously mentioned Brew Hauler, they're rather easy to move around.

I'll second that idea.

Sorry but I jumped off the carboy/bucket, plastic/glass fermenter wagon a while ago. IMO the only way to fly is stainless steel. I'm using kegs to ferment in (6.6 and 7.75 gallon) and using 5.28 gallon kegs to age in.

While they weigh a little more than glass, or plastic vessels, the benefits more than offset that. Plus two large, solid, handles at the top makes for easier lifting.

I did start off using the kit bucket, then BB carboys, before scoring my first keg fermenter. I can't see ever going back to plastic. I will use glass to primary mead, but I'll most likely age it in a keg. :rockin::D

Whatever you go with, buy a cheap (Harbor Freight) dolly, under $10 and move the keg/carboy/better bottle around on it. I like 6 gallon BB, but have used almost every fermenter you could imagine. SS kegs are great, just a bit more work to clean.

I'd love to switch to ss when the funds allow. Where so you get your kegs, air locks, etc? I am not that familiar with using anything other than glass or bb.

I get mine by scouring Craigslist and ebay, plus putting real world feelers out... I make sure that anyone I've bought one from before knows I want more. I also work with other brewers that know people that go through the scrap yards and such. That's how I got one of the pony kegs I have. I scored the second from ebay. I purchased the two 6.6 gallon (25L) new from chi (probably won't purchase from them again). I also have a 13.3 gallon keg that I got from someone I purchased my serving keg starter kit from. His brother-in-law (I believe) had it and didn't want it. Scored a 1/2 bbl keg on Craigslist the other week.

For using them, get the large universal bung (NOT the one for Better Bottles, the other one) and you're good to go. You can use the normal airlocks and blow-off tubes you use now that way.

IF you want to, you can use the fittings that allow you to move the wort via gas, from the keg. IMO, it's not needed/necessary. Where I am in brewing, I would rather not complicate the setup any further.

Like Fetus said, get Better Bottles instead of glass. They're lighter and they don't shatter. And they fit into a milk crate making it easy for two people to carry.

Latest posts

Back