Fastest beers from grain to glass?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hey!

So it's happened again, somehow I got distracted with stupid stuff like family, work, moving home, etc, and its taken a toll on my pipeline. I'm drinking Yuengling now (I actually kinda like this beer... *ducks*) and I'm out of homebrew!

I'm sure such events unfold for everyone from time to time... so, if you would be so kind, please post your quickest, tastiest and importantly fastest-to-glass recipes!

My Stone Clone was delish 3 weeks from grain to glass - on tap of course. Dry hopped IPAs tend to hide the greenishness. My Bee Cave Kolsch wasn't bad after 4 weeks.

Not sure if this is the fastest recipe out there, but it's pretty quick... Also it's an extract as I have not completed my AG setup as of yet. It's kinda like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... Pretty tasty if you like those pale ales :)

Fermentables:
6 lbs Gold (or Light) LME
1 lb Light DME

Grains:
8 oz of Caramel 10L
8 oz of Carapils

Hops:
1 oz Perle for Bittering
1 oz Cascade for Aroma

Yeast:
Wyeast American Ale 1056

Heat 2.5 gal of water in your BK to 155F
Steep grains for 30 min
Bring to a boil then remove from heat
Add LME, dissolve completely, then do the same with the DME
Bring back to a boil and add the Perle hops and boil for 60 min
At 2 min, add Cascade hops
Cool, pitch, and ferment at ~65-68F for 3 weeks
Keg or bottle using 5 oz corn sugar

Obviously if you keg, the beer will probably be ready to drink in 3 weeks and a few days, depending on how you force carb. If you're bottling, add at least 2 weeks to that.

My Stone Clone was delish 3 weeks from grain to glass - on tap of course. Dry hopped IPAs tend to hide the greenishness. My Bee Cave Kolsch wasn't bad after 4 weeks.

50% flaked wheat, 50% pils to OG ~1.050, mash in the high 140s.

Cascade at 15 min. (1/2 oz/gal)

Use T-58 dry yeast--it ferments quickly and flocs even faster.

You can get away with as little as 3-4 days in 1° and a week in the bottle.

As Yooper said, the 10der & Mild swap was all about getting from grain to glass in 10 days. Mine turned out remarkably well, as did the ones I received in the swap.

Read BYO's Speed Brewing for more tips and tricks for getting a beer made and ready to drink in a short amount of time. Recipes included.

If you want something light, my "Sterling Gold" is fast and tasty.

If you go with the darker stuff...Yooper's reference to the 10Der and Mild swap we did a few years back yielded this recipe.

The mild ended up taking 2nd in Category #11 (English Brown Ales) shortly after I brewed it.

Looks delicious. I might make this soon (sterling gold).

Noticed one thing that looks funny though- it says 12 lbs of grain, but the OG is 1.035. Isn't that low for 12 lbs of grain? I have my own session brew I make and it uses 9 lbs and gets about the same.

Looks delicious. I might make this soon (sterling gold).

Noticed one thing that looks funny though- it says 12 lbs of grain, but the OG is 1.035. Isn't that low for 12 lbs of grain? I have my own session brew I make and it uses 9 lbs and gets about the same.

It's an 11.5 gallon recipe.

I accidentaly tried my "Blue Moon" cone after only two weeks and it was phenomenal. (I forgot to mark the carboy and confused it with my American Wheat).

I've made a pale ale recipe which I was able to easily serve 12 days after brew day. I think I could serve it in 7 days if I had to.

Just pitch enough yeast, contol your fermentation temperature correctly, keg and force carbonate, and you can make a great beer quickly..... ;)

My first brew, an ale that came with the coopers kit, went from extract to glass in 2 weeks. It tasted like crap compared to what I do today but I thought it was better than any BMCs anyway. In any case, I was just following the kit instructions!

hefeweizen ferment fast (like 4 days) if you let the temp ramp up, which I think is a good thing. Then as soon as you can get them carbed.

OK - now I am fascinated with this as a friend wants me to brew for St. Pat's. I have a Cream Stout that would be ready by then - but there is no way I am wasting that on BMC heathens. Would an Irish Red be Ok by 3/17?

if i want fast from grain to glass, i cheat and use 6 lbs wheat dme, 1 oz @ 60 minutes hersbrucker, and wb06 yeast. 10 days ferment, keg, cool overnight. take it out of the fridge, roll it underfoot under ~20 psi for an hour, then re-refrigerate. next night, drink. 12 days

BendBrewer said:
A simple Mild, Amber or Wheat using pure Oxygen and a Yeast cake.

I just kegged yesterday a stout and an amber that were done fermenting in 7 days thanks to big starters and pure oxygen so I concur. With serious forced carbonation, they can be ready in 2-3 days.

I don't think it has much to do with recipe (other than keeping the OG below 1.055-60), but rather having a really healthy fermentation: high pitch rate and pure O2...

Forget about dry hopping, transfer to secondary, etc. if you want quick results.

not beer exactly, but Brandon O's recipe for graff is supposed to be done in two weeks.

I brewed an AG Porter this weekend. It was the first time using my new set up AND my first time crushing my own grain. My OG was pretty low (Target 1.050 Actual 1.030), so I think my mash didn't go very well...not enough conversion. Anyway, I used 1.5 packs of US 05 yeast (rehydrated for 30 mins) to pitch. Adding to the struggles, the temps in the house have been ALL OVER the place since I pitched. From over 80 t0 55 F. Needless to say, fermentation seems a bit sluggish. The Krausen never really bloomed big and thick like US 05 usually does, and it seems to be collapsing already after just 36 hours in the carboy. I am thinking because the OG was so low, this may be a good candidate for a "leave it in the primary for 10 days then keg it" kinda brew. What do you guys think?

The wort smelled heavely, BTW. I just think I didn't give the yeast what they needed to go all out this time.

Oh, and if it helps here is the recipe and method I used. It was basically the Silver Dollar Porter from Papazian. Below are my notes:

8# 2 Row Base Malt
1# Dark Munich Malt
1/2# 120L Crystal Malt
1/2# Blck Patent Malt
1/2# Chocolate Malt

All crushed (poorly I believe...but we'll see.) and put in grain bag and placed in a 10 Gallon cooler.

Added 2.5 Gallons of 135F Water. Let stand with occasional stiring for 30 mins.
Added 2.5 Gallons of 200F Water. Let stand with occasional stirring for 30 mins.
Drained approx 2.5 gallons of wort, 1 quart at a time, and slowly recirculated over grains.

Pre Boil Gravity 1.030 (Brad's refractometer)

Drained all wort into BK (approx 4 gallons) and added 1 gallon of water.
Brought to a boil.
Added 1 oz Perle pellets and 1 tsp gypsum powder
@ 30 mins added .5 oz Cascade pellets
@ 10 mins added .5 oz Cascade pellets and .5 tsp irish moss

Chilled using immesrion chiller to 90F
Racked to carboy.

Post boil OG 1.030 (my hydrometer)

When therm strip on carboy read 85F, added 1.5 packages of rehydrated Safale US 05
Blow off tube inserted, placed in ferment area.

Temps eratic, weather going nuts.
@12 Hours 1.5-2 inches of almond,large bubble foam have formed, blow off tube bubble every 7-8 seconds.

@ 36 Hours, foam all but collapsed. Gave carboy a gentle swirl to put some settled yeast back into suspension.

Back