Wilmington, Nc Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portcity556

Reaction score
Would anyone know first hand how to deal with the water in Wilmington, Nc. I have been trying to read up on all the lingo that goes with adding stuff to the mash and so forth. I mostly do, IPA's, porters and stouts, and some saison's. Here is a link from a report I found online from 2014.http://www.cfpua.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/465
If someone could help that would be awesome. Thanks

Hey Port, welcome to the forums.

That water quality report does not provide all of the data you need to evaluate your brewing water. You'll need a report that, at minimum, has data on the water's calcium, magnesium, sodium, alkalinity, sulfate, and chloride concentrations. That Cape Fear report only provides pH and sulfate.

You may have some luck contacting the CFPUA directly and requesting data for those ion concentrations. Alternatively, you could purchase a home water test from a service like Ward Labs.

Also, if you haven't done so already, take a look over at the Bru'n Water website and calculator. It's a font of great information and guidance. Good luck to you!

Thanks for responding. I'm going to contact the water company and see if they can provide that info. Or talk to the breweries around here.

Back