Noob from Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoZiT

Reaction score
Hey everyone, happy to be here. There is a lot of information here that I'm sure will be invaluable to my quest for a tasty drink. It already has been a big help in my research so far.

In case you're wondering, I am from California but have lived in the Japanese countryside for about 8 years now. I'm fluent in English and Japanese.

Japanese beers, while good, lack in variety. That, and the tax system here pretty much ensures that beer will only get worse from now (Grade 1/2/3, Grade 3 has the least amount of taxes, but also requires malt content less than 25%). Having other beers, good beers, my own tastes... very exciting.

For my first batch, I'll be making a hefeweizen, we'll see how it goes.

Thanx all!

Malt content less than 24%? Holy snot, they still call that beer? How is the homebrew community there? What is the availability of gear and ingredients?

And by the way, welcome to HBT!

Wow, is this the welcoming committee or is everyone this welcome?

Thanx all.

arturo -

Well, the scene here is definitely not as big as the States or some other places. There are only a handful of stores located in Japan that provide stuff. Since most of it is imported, it costs a bit more, too. Nice thing about Japan, though, is overnight shipping for under $10.

Less than 25% hops makes a horrible drink, the cans are usually listed as Liquor, not Alcohol content. SWMBO does the shopping, so I can't complain too much. She sometimes gets the good stuff, tho. She likes drinking, too, which will work in my favor. She's nursing right now, but as the baby is weaned off of that, I'm sure she'll join the darkside with me.

I'll start searching for some homebrew orgs around Shikoku, but I expect to be disappointed. Come to think of it, if I'm not expecting anything, then I shouldn't be disappointed, right?

I am surprised, though, at how many users here are from Japan! Like Chap! Hi!

Oh, and that's just it... 3rd grade beer, i.e. 24% malt or less, cannot technically be called a beer, but makes up more than half of the beer section at the local mart.

arturo -
I'll start searching for some homebrew orgs around Shikoku, but I expect to be disappointed. Come to think of it, if I'm not expecting anything, then I shouldn't be disappointed, right?

You have to keep in mind, homebrewing is not exactly a state sanctioned activity in Japan. For this reason, I think people tend to keep in on the DL. With that being said, I've had good luck with this guy:

http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/brew/

Can you read Japanese? If not, is your SWMBO Japanese?

I mention this guy because he has good prices, good service AND he runs a homebrew "club" so to speak in the Tokyo area. He might be a big help with your search in the Tokushima area.

Cheers and good luck!:mug:

You have to keep in mind, homebrewing is not exactly a state sanctioned activity in Japan. For this reason, I think people tend to keep in on the DL. With that being said, I've had good luck with this guy:

http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/brew/

Can you read Japanese? If not, is your SWMBO Japanese?

I mention this guy because he has good prices, good service AND he runs a homebrew "club" so to speak in the Tokyo area. He might be a big help with your search in the Tokushima area.

Cheers and good luck!:mug:

Thanx, Seph.

That's actually where I bought all my stuff. I can read Japanese fine, and yes, SWMBO is Japanese.

Didn't think about asking him if he knew of any brewers/clubs in Shikoku. I say Shikoku because much more likely than just Tokushima. I'll ask next time I order from them.

You know Japan well, I see. Thanx

After about 20 hours of worrying about high temps (26 C for wheat yeast rated at 15-24), I found the perfect fermentation chamber! It's empty all summer long and only used in the wintertime. It doesn't cool below 19 C. Oh no, Perfect.

1uoQTPcNaeA5cWj0oL4zvg

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1uoQTPcNaeA5cWj0oL4zvg?feat=directlink

You have to keep in mind, homebrewing is not exactly a state sanctioned activity in Japan. For this reason, I think people tend to keep in on the DL.

Do you keep it on the DL? I mean, how open are you to sharing with locals/friends? I've been so excited that, come to think of it, I may have said more than I should have...

Glad to know homebrewing in Japan is possible and somewhat accessible! I'm fairly new to the hobby and soon will be moving to Japan. Glad to know I'll be able to keep perfecting my craft! Thanks for the post

Do you keep it on the DL? I mean, how open are you to sharing with locals/friends? I've been so excited that, come to think of it, I may have said more than I should have...

I would say just use common sense and do not sell it under any circumstance.

Most of my coworkers know and some people outside that circle, but I only share it with people I trust.

Glad to know homebrewing in Japan is possible and somewhat accessible! I'm fairly new to the hobby and soon will be moving to Japan. Glad to know I'll be able to keep perfecting my craft! Thanks for the post

Where in Japan are you headed to?

I would say just use common sense and do not sell it under any circumstance.

Most of my coworkers know and some people outside that circle, but I only share it with people I trust.

Definitely wouldn't sell it. My co-workers consist of everyone at the Board of Education, the town office, and several teachers at elementary schools, even the mayor. Might want to keep it on the DL there, too. :eek:

I would think you could find brewing stuff in Osaka at the very least.

How do you like living in the Kansai? First time I lived in Japan was in Nanba, Osaka and I developed a pretty strong accent just in a few of months. Of course now it is like 15 years later and it's hard for me to believe it ever seemed natural to speak Osaka-ben.

I'm going to Osaka this weekend. I live in the boonies compared to Osaka. But of course, I like the countryside a lot more than the city.

Living outside the city has its advantages and disadvantages. I can't just go to a local store and buy what I need. However, shipping overnight is fairly reasonable. Problem is whether that package is small or not. It's an added cost.

Living with my wife's family, there is plenty of equipment to use. Already had a huge outside burner for boiling and steaming several kg of rice at a time. A whole outdoor kitchen area at my disposal. Also have huge refrigerators for storing harvested stuff, one kept at 19 C and one at about 6 C. That's the big advantage of living with farmers, i guess.

Bars are hard to come by, though. As well as microbrews, other homebrewers, etc. etc. etc.

You know you live in the countryside when you can't figure out which house is yours on Google maps/earth.

Lol you weren't in the boonies until you were on Kyushu. We were even on some island off of that. Everyone looked at us like they never seen a foreigner. It was a couple hours south of Kagoshima.

Lol you weren't in the boonies until you were on Kyushu. We were even on some island off of that. Everyone looked at us like they never seen a foreigner. It was a couple hours south of Kagoshima.

I know the feeling. I'm like a celebrity in my town. People want to take pictures together, others run up to me to say HI, others just point and say things like, "look at that gaijin over there! he's that guy that did that thing that time..."

Back