Filtering my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cytosol

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have dabbled in making beer with the standard 'newbie' method. Buying an ingredient kit, adding the ingredients to the 23-liter carboy, letting it ferment for a month, and syphoning the results into individual bottles with the priming sugar.

I have produced some pretty decent results with this method, but I am not a huge fan of the strong yeasty taste that is yielded from the beer.

I am on a budget (the main reason I got into this whole thing in the first place!) and I was wondering what I would need to create fully carbonated and filtered beer without the yeast in it? I understand that the priming sugar is what provides the carbonation in the bottles, but what would I need in terms of equipment to filter the fermented beer AND have it carbonated in the bottles? is this possible, or would I have to purchase a keg and C02 equipment to acomplish this?

Thanks,

How long have you let it age in the bottle? Are you being careful when you pour it into the glass? Chilling before you serve?

You would need at least 2 kegs, a plate filter, the necessary connectors to create a jumper, CO2 tank and regulator, and a bottle gun.

My recommendation is to use a cleaner ale yeast or to make lagers, and use gelatin to clear your beer after fermentation is done. Then keg instead of bottling, and cold crash your beer in the keg. Your first pulled pint will be yeasty, the rest will be clear as a bell!

Back