New homebrewer in Macon, GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have over 700 books with recipes cataloged on LibraryThing (www.librarything.com). I make random recipes using www.random.org to select. A couple of random recipes ago, the random generator selected "The New Brewers Handbook" by Patrick Baker, and within the pamphlet selected Continental Light Lager. So I bought a newbie's two plastic bucket kit and am drinking a fizzy lemony lager. I generally don't like lagers, but whether pride or quality, I am very satisfied. Not satisfied enough to make another lager, but ....

Once the newbie equipment was purchased, homebrewing is now in the routine, and the second attempt, worted last night was a 60-minute IPA, which was an boiling over mess working with two pots (16 qt & 4 qt) and an instruction to use Irish moss when the kit contained no Irish moss. So I googled [irish moss ipa] and found this forum.

When I was a 10-year army brat in Germany, to fatten me up, we had schwarzebrau delivered in milk bottles with the milk and orange juice, and my bedtime snack was a schwarzebrau with an egg in it. I was hooked, even though the fattening took 40 years.

Back in the states I settled to becoming Guinness drinker, or black & tans if eating. After tasting the homebrew of my father's Army friend who had just got back from Saudi Arabia (where homebrewing seemed to be encouraged among the U.S. residents), I almost started to homebrew in 1991. But the homebrew store I went to in Winston-Salem, NC had such a great selection of foreign brews and U.S. micros, that I was satisfied with the commercial product.

More recently, kidney stones have pulled be off of draft beer, but bottled brew is recommended by my urologist, particularly hoppy beers. I've been sampling dozens of micro IPAs. On December 12, 2009 I'll be sampling my own.

Latest posts

Back