New Aeration Technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwsenoj

Reaction score
Last week when I was brewing a batch for my brother's Christmas present, I realized that I had not prepared to aerate my wort before pitching. I figured I would try to shake the carboy before it got too full but, by accident, when using my autosiphon, I started to draw air in with the inlet side of my autosiphon in the kettle. I thought, "what the heck" and intentionally kept the suction end of the siphon 3/4 submerged and manually pumping the siphon while drawing in tons of frothy wort and ambient air. I pitched 2 packets of dry yeast (properly rehydrated according to Zainaschef and White's book "Yeast") and I had signs of active fermentation within an hour! The 1.074 IPA's krausen fell only 2 days later and is at 1.020 now (I mashed waaay too hot ~168*F)

Has anyone else found good results using this method?

Never tried that exact method but it doesnt sound like it would hurt anything...Anything is better than nothing at that point.

Last week when I was brewing a batch for my brother's Christmas present, I realized that I had not prepared to aerate my wort before pitching. I figured I would try to shake the carboy before it got too full but, by accident, when using my autosiphon, I started to draw air in with the inlet side of my autosiphon in the kettle. I thought, "what the heck" and intentionally kept the suction end of the siphon 3/4 submerged and manually pumping the siphon while drawing in tons of frothy wort and ambient air. I pitched 2 packets of dry yeast (properly rehydrated according to Zainaschef and White's book "Yeast") and I had signs of active fermentation within an hour! The 1.074 IPA's krausen fell only 2 days later and is at 1.020 now (I mashed waaay too hot ~168*F)

Has anyone else found good results using this method?

Don't put too much into these results as dried yeast is said not to need aeration since it is 'loaded' with everything it needs at the factory. Most of us aerate it anyhow though.

Back