Surface Tension?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
So I searched the forums and was unable to find anything relating to this... My last batch has this strange viscous property to it. When CO2 bubbles come up from the brew, I can see little liquid balls form on top of the beer, usually near the side of the glass. It doesn't affect the taste of the beer at all, it just looks strange. I've never had a commercial beer have this weird surface tension to it.

For starters, the batch in question was a Kolsch influenced ale, (extract brew). I used two cans of 3.3 lbs LME - CBW Briess Pilsen Light, .75 pounds of Munich light and .25 pounds of Crystal 15L steeping grains. 5 gallon batch. I used my normal tap water that I always use.

I brewed it in the normal extract process. Could it be the LME that I used? I've used DME and LME from other brands before and never had this happen before. The brew is crystal clear and tastes pretty good, maybe it's just something about this brand?

Try pouring it into different types of glasses (pilsner, goblet, tulip, etc..) I have noticed the same beer will "bubble up" differently in different glasses. How's the head retention? If you don't have much you could also have dirty glasses.

Even when I did my gravity samples it did the same thing in my beaker. Just like when a bead of water sits on top of a flat surface of water. Pretty weird.

Back