Specific times for bittering, flavoring and aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Have a rough idea but was wondering what others thoughts were on specific times or cutoffs for each of these additions. I think we'd agree that FWH or 60 is bittering. But when does flavoring start and end, going into the aroma phase? Lately I've been doing FWH, 60, 20, 10, 5, 1 but would admit I don't know where to increase or decrease the addition based on me wanting more bitterness, flavor or aroma.

60, 15, 5. Bittering, flavor, aroma. And yes they mostly all overlap. You get little bitterness from 5min, quite a bit at 15. Flavor and aroma themselves are kind of inextricably connected so I think theres a continuum in the last 30min. FWH gives a larger flavor component along with smooth bittering, dry hopping gives a lot of aroma/flavor but some times a little greener/grassier. And of course different hop varieties give different impressions at the times listed, and pellets vs plugs vs whole give different results to some degree.

I think the major times would be 60, 15, 5 and flameout. If you are adding different hops at different times then I think you would have more flavors happening, whether these all go together or not you can taste. I think that having 6 hop additions is probably not necessary to get a full amount of bitter, flavor and aroma. Also this is dependant on style. For a stout you might just have a bittering addition and nothing else, IPA with 5 additions and dry hop.

here is a link I found with lots of hop information, more than I need:
http://www.babblehomebrewers.com/attachments/article/68/hopusage.pdf

+1 to the above but in addition and as touched on there needs to be a lot of consideration of the hop variety and type as well as the AA%. For example a high AA hop added late may produce the same bittering quality as a low AA hop may produce at an earlier addition.

Back