First brew, minor/major problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewNSachs

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been on these forums for about a month of a half, and finally did my first brew yesterday. (I've done one with my Dad before, but this was my first by myself) Anyways, the only problem that I had during the brew itself was that I realized that I didn't have any beer around to drink while I brewed... *shudder*.
But last night I was checking on fermentation (pretty aggressive bubbling really is fascinating to a new brewer!) and within a ten minute window that I left the garage, my airlock blew off. I quickly cleaned and sanitized and popped it back on, but ten minutes later, same thing. I took the stopper off of my airlock and shoved a 3/8" tube into it and quickly made a blowoff tube. Should I be worried about an infection? I'm thinking that the carboy only had the stopper off of it for maybe 5 minutes at the most, in which time CO2 and foam was pouring out of it, all over my garage floor...

if CO2 and foam are going out, then there is likely not much coming in. It is unlikely an infection would occur in that short of time. Moreover, the yeast are already outpopulating any new bacteria/wild yeast that may have found their way in, which will also minimize the risk of perceivable infection.

I wouldn't worry. The beer should still turn out equally delicious.

P.S. This all assumes you adequately sanitized the airlock/blow off tube when you replaced.

Sounds like you were properly equiped to handle the problem. Relax and get yourself some brew to enjoy on your next session. I am sure that it will turn out just fine!

Back