So do you boil your coopers kit or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaginger

Reaction score
So I got a coopers kit for giggles and to get the pipeline filled a bit while I wait for a grain order to come in. I just opened and read the instructions to see that no boil is instructed, but I have read posts where many on here do boil them.

I am probably going to just go ahead and do a full-size boil for 20 mins or so. Has anyone found that helpful or am i just wasting my time?

Thanks!
jason

My first couple brews were from Cooper's kits, and, not knowing any better, I just followed the directions, ie, no boil. And these turned out fine (but not as good as my later extract efforts!)

My understanding is that the boil is mostly to extract oils from the hops, so that in a prehopped Cooper's extract it was not necessary, nor would it help much.

So I got a coopers kit for giggles and to get the pipeline filled a bit while I wait for a grain order to come in. I just opened and read the instructions to see that no boil is instructed, but I have read posts where many on here do boil them.

I am probably going to just go ahead and do a full-size boil for 20 mins or so. Has anyone found that helpful or am i just wasting my time?

Thanks!
jason

I've made quite a few Coopers kits. Cut my teeth on those things! What I did was boil the entire 5 gallons of water for sanitation reasons and also to cut the chlorine taste from the municipal water that I use. After the boil, once I was removed from the fire, I would then stir in the malt syrup. If you boil it, you'll darken the hell out of your beer.

Back