Mash Tun - Volume under false bottom... and more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveG

Reaction score
I have a new 15g Heavy-Duty Brew kettle from More Beer that I'm going to break-in this weekend, I'm planing on using it as a mash tun and boiling kettle :rockin:.

My first question is this: If Beer Tools calculates I need 'X' gallons of strike water, should I change that value to 'X' + 2 gallons, taking into account the water under my false bottom? Anyone savvy with BTP that can tell me how to make the program automatically do that? I tried adjusting the "dead-space" under vessels, but no dice...

Second: In a preliminary test I found that if I left my stove burner on the lowest setting the kettle would hold it's temp @ 153 for an entire hour. Is it safe to do this? There is a false bottom and at such a low heat I can't see scorching being a problem, but I don't know anything. :D Should I be stirring the mash every so often to ensure even temp distribution? Should I hook a march pump up and use that instead?

Thanks for the help, and any other advice you care to throw at me!

-- Steve

Wow, 2 gallons under the bottom? I have a full bottom in my keg and it's 7/8 gallon to the bottom and I usually just calculate the strike to 1qt/gallon and then manually override by adding 1 gallon. I would not apply any heat without either stirring or recirculating with a pump.

Wow, 2 gallons under the bottom? I have a full bottom in my keg and it's 7/8 gallon to the bottom and I usually just calculate the strike to 1qt/gallon and then manually override by adding 1 gallon. I would not apply any heat without either stirring or recirculating with a pump.

Yeah, I was a bit shocked when I measured it myself.

I have read so much over the past month in this transition from extract to AG, but I'm still a noob... I don't understand when you say you calculate the strike to 1qt/gallon?

EDIT: BTW I have watched most of your videos and looked at your site many times. I appreciate your insight! Thanks :D

Back