Do I have an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striker169

Reaction score
So I brewed my 5th batch last weekend, and then yeast I got was in the bag type that you smack and it is supposed to expand. Well after I was done with the boill and everything and pured the wort into the carboy my bag still had not expanded and it had been out for about 4 hours. So after 3 days when I didn't see any bubles or anything I thought I had bad yeast. I went back to Austin for ACL and picked up some good yeast at Austin Homebrew but when I got back home today I looked at the carboy and saw this:

IMG_5881-s.jpg

Is it infected? Or should I pitch the good yeast and see what happens?

That is just leftover krausen that has stuck to the carboy (which is to say it fermented and the krausen has fallen already). Because your smack pack didn't swell, more than likely it just took the yeast a long time to get going. Give it a couple more days and then check the SG and see how it's doing. In the future you should try and make starters, this not only ensures that your yeast are alive and ready to go, you get a nice quick start to fermentation.

I'd check the sg, but I am with Brad on this one. It looks like it already fermented. When you check the sg, take a taste! It should taste like beer!

So even though its been a week and I still dont really see much activity as in no bubbles in the airlock or along the sides and whatnot? I should give it another week?

Well, I'd check the sg just to make sure we're right! And if no fermentation has happened, pitch more yeast (either dry or with a starter if using liquid).

The only way to know for sure is to check the sg and smell it and taste it.

hard to tell but it does look like it fermented. Could there be a slight leak ?
I wouldn't toss it.

Everything in the carboy looks good...............as far as the infection goes I would seek a doctors opinion.:D :drunk:

Cheers

Knowing some biology, you'd be able to tell if the beer is extremely murky and the smell is off. If mold is the problem, check out the bottom, look for little rhizomorphic strands.
Then again, I don't know much about brewing, as today I started my first.

AS Arnold would say...

"It's not a tumooooor"

That thar is beer that has fermented out. Get a gravity reading NOW, and take another in 12 hours. If it's stable, the beer is prolly done.

Don't let krausen scare you. I've had krausen that looked like explosive upchuck. It's just the nature of different yeast strains.

Ok I just took the SG and it read about 1.012 so..... Should I just let it keep fermenting? I tasted it and it seemed to taste fine... I couldn’t smell it because my allergies are bothering me and I can’t smell right now...

Wait a little while (12-24 hours) and take another reading if it's the same then rack or bottle it

CHeers

"Do I have an infection" ... funny, I got asked this 4-5 times today and no one showed me a beer :D

Back