Acid blend in Pinot Grigio Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Last weekend I started up a pinot pyment, but realized that my acid blend was at a friends house. So I made it anyway, but I would like to add the acid blend still. It's bubbling away in the closet, can I still add the blend this weekend? Or will that interfere with fermentation?

With any mead, I recommend that no supplemental acid (of any kind) be added until after the fermentation is complete. And, then add to taste (if needed). IMO, there is no justification to add acid before that point as it serves no purpose other than to tweak the mead's "acid balance" to one's own personal taste.

FWIW, the last time I added any type of acid to a mead was over 10 years ago... ;)

I also don't use acid blends in mead...BUT!

I can see where a pinot grigio could benefit from a hint of acid twang....depending on what you're after in the finished product.

It's nice to know acid is something I can control late in the game. This is going to take a little while anyway, so I'll see how it comes out before I make decisions. The LHBS guy made a similar mead that I tasted at 5 months old, and was very nice, so hopefully I can get this done soon.

Back