Air Distributor vs. Three guage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimatored

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of an air distributor (with a check valve) vs. a three gauge regulator for a two keg setup?

Is the only draw back selecting different pressures? Price wise, a two-way air distrib might make sense for me... appreciate the help.

Really, it comes down to carbonation volumes. If you have a dual regulator, then you can carbonate two beers at difference pressures. This helps if you have, say...a belgian, and an english beer on tap at the same time. It also would let you force carbonate one with the 30psi method and still have one on tap.

Personally, I think the 30psi overnight carbonation method is junk. I also think that most people (regardless of whether they think they can or not) can't tell the difference between pressures when it's a 1/2 a volume off. Because of this...I've always used distributors, and I'll continue to do so. I carbonate all of my beers at 12-15psi depending on the temp of my fridge. Who cares about accurate carbonation anyways? It's homebrew.

Really, it comes down to carbonation volumes. If you have a dual regulator, then you can carbonate two beers at difference pressures. This helps if you have, say...a belgian, and an english beer on tap at the same time. It also would let you force carbonate one with the 30psi method and still have one on tap.

Personally, I think the 30psi overnight carbonation method is junk. I also think that most people (regardless of whether they think they can or not) can't tell the difference between pressures when it's a 1/2 a volume off. Because of this...I've always used distributors, and I'll continue to do so. I carbonate all of my beers at 12-15psi depending on the temp of my fridge. Who cares about accurate carbonation anyways? It's homebrew.

i pretty much carb all my beers the same... but then again i pretty much just brew pale ales and the occasional lager. thanks for the input. down the road i could always go for the triple reg.

I have a dual regulator because I plan to have a keg of ginger ale or other soft drink (or maybe just sparkling Kool-Aid) on tap, which is significantly higher carb'd than beer.

For my beers though, I generally like them all in about the same range.

Back