Today was a good day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
Today i did my second AG batch. everything almost went perfectly, minus stupid little issues.

I brewed the dogfish head 60 minute clone, very similar to Yoopers recipe, with a couple minor changes (to add more IBU's)

What i did was for a 5.5 Gallon batch, i figure i would do that so at the end i could have alittle left to test or play with ext after i keg 5 gallons. but anyways

my grain bill
- 13.5lb US 2-row
- .875 lb fawcett halcoyon pale

Hop schedule
- .25 oz warrior (FWH) ~ pellet
- .75 oz warrior Continuously added for first 15 min of boil ~ pellet
- . 5 oz Amadillo continuously added for last 45 min of boil ~ leaf
- . 5 oz Simcoe continuously added for last 45 min of boil ~ Pellet

- 1 oz Amadillo dry hop 7 days ~ leaf
- .5 oz Simcoe dry hop 7 days ~ leaf

Yeast
made a 2L yeast starter 2 days prior and chilled to make yeast cake using Wyeast 1056 American Ale decant before pitching

But here is my story. i heated up my mash-tun, and and was shooting for 154 F for the infusion step at 1.25 qt/lb ratio. I hit that exactly on point. later i heated up the mash to 168 to end conversion. (missed that by a couple degrees. low) but after sparging it hit that temperature. problem 1 one started when sparging (i made a fly sparger but it failed to work correctly but improvised, im a cheap mo-fo so i will find anyway to build something before buying it, or its just the engineer in me).

After sparging i did a preboil gravity. what i calculated was spose to be 1.061, i hit 1.060, so i thought i was doing really well. Following my boil everything when well until i tried my chiller, stupid thing had a leak (had to fix that in about a 5 minute deal before it had to go into the boil). but after the chiller started i got the temperature down to 80 F in just about 15-20 minutes, when i put it into the fermenter (had lots of cold break, which i assume is really good?, due to chilling it super fast?)

i took my initial gravity and it came out to be 1.068 (missing beersmiths by .003 at 1.071) for my second brew i think is really well, as well i calculated my brew house eff. which ended up being between 72- 73% depending on which program you use, and with some tinkering to my system, i think i can get a greater value)

But overall i hope this was a good success, and i thought i would share this with you wonderful people here on HBF :mug: BTW, this site due to you people help me navigate through tons of information to help me with all this

Always good to hear about a well-run brew day. Tends to balance out the horror stories that you tend to hear.

so update: it is fermenting like crazy!, i have never had a fermentation that strong. it is foaming up to the air lock, and inside you can see all the protein and yeast cells floating around like a carnival ride

Latest posts

Back