didnt use hose with mash..hot side aeration ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never bothered to try a tube on my mashtun. I figured after watching videos from professional breweries making it look like splash mountain, a 2-3 foot drop ain't going to do **** to mine.

Only benefit I can see of with the tube is getting it lower than the inside water and using it like a siphon to pull from the dead space.

Yeah, it's starting to become clear that hot side aeration is a non-concern for homebrewers.

For HSA to cause a problem, you will need to let the beer mature for a lot longer than most homebrewers do. If it a barley wine that you are going to let mature for 6+ months, then you may have something to worry about. If you're going to drink it in a reasonable time, I wouldn't worry.

-a.

I currently use a 4" length of hose off the mash tun to get it out past the lip of the keggle when its draining, when I started brewing I bought the wrong dia hose to fit properly so I did not use it. since it wasnt causing an issue I havent bothered with a long line on the tun since.

Here is a pic of the sparge from my first brew ever, no hose here!
06_sparge_runnings.jpg

A couple of batches ago I dumped the near boiling hot wort from my kettle into the fermentation bucket and let it cool overnight---why I did that is another story ;). Anyways 7 weeks later and no oxidation taste in the batch. So you are probably fine.

Latest posts

Back