Gunk at bottom of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzuredEyed

Reaction score
Still kind of new to home brewing . . . . so bear with me.

I am a big fan of carbonated cider -- in fact that's really the only way I like it.

As such I tend to incorporate the natural carbonation process.

Doing this however I am often left with a film of gunk of at the bottom my bottles.

Is there a way to get rid of this or at least reduce it. (Kegs are, of course an option, but at this point I am more curious if there is a simple more "natural" way (read as "cheap"!) to do this).

by gunk, i assume u are refering to yeast sediment? not really any way to get rid of it if you are naturally carbing. you might be able to reduce it by waiting a little longer b4 u bottle, but then it will probably take longer to carb and if you wait too long it may not carb enough, or at all(unlikely)

gunk=yeast=carbonation. When you pour, just pour gently to not disturb the little yeast cake, so it remains in the bottle.

This yeast at the bottom of your bottle is natural. Like Gristulin said.

Just don't shake your cider and pour slowly; leave the end trails in the bottle. This is the cheapest solution.

read about how champagne is made- after the bottle fermentation the bottles are slowly turned upside-down so the lees gradually accumulate in the neck of the bottle, which is then flash frozen (the neck only) , opened carefully, the lees are expelled out, and the bottle is topped off and corked. most other commercially produced fizzy things are not bottle carbonated. there's really no simple solution. if you only have a thin film you won't notice a difference in taste even if you shake it all up first. i personally don't mind my cider a bit cloudy. a big cake of dead yeast can give a bitter taste though

If you want to lose the sediment, the only way is to keg. 3weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then carb by force carbonation and let it sit until cleared. From there you can bottle from the keg.

If you use sugar to carbonate, you will always have sediment in your bottles as this is a natural byproduct of the fermentation.

Sediment is good!

Edit: brain not working. The above is for beer - ha!

For my cider I primary for 3-4 weeks (or longer) before my first rack, then when teh ferment slows, I rack off most of the lees and top off and let it sit for up to 6 months before I bottle. This won't work for you because you want to naturally carb. Unless you make a yeast slurry at the time of carbing. even still you will have sediment from that carbonating.

Like beer in a primary, the longer you let it sit, the tighter the yeast cake in the bottom will be and the less yeast will be disturbed by the pour. I've had many brews,that after 3 weeks in the bottle, allow me to pour all the beer out without any yeast coming out at all.

Longer bulk ageing helps with this too, as mentioned above.

How long are you waiting before you bottle?

You will have a little sediment when you carb in the bottle, but you will have a lot more if you bottle early.

Back