Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renshaw

Reaction score
I've just made a mead,
and i noticed that i got two different readings.

If i placed the hydrometer in gently it sunk to 1.050 ish.

If i holded it up for a second it stayed around 1.020.

If i pushed it down it didn't raise above 1.100

What is the correct way to do this? bear in mind the liquid contained fruit sediment as it was completely fruit based.

I'm guessing i won't be able to get a acqurity reading of this one?

Going to be tough to get a good reading if there is that much sediment as the viscosity will cause the hydrometer to stick. Can you get a clear, sediment free sample after it settles out a bit?

Im estimating around 1080 as i've added 600ish grams of sugar lols.
Plus the fruit to one gallon.

Ive already added the yeast so it was more of a question of what should i of done. :p Hehe

For next time use a wine thief or turkey baster to draw a sediment free sample from under the surface if you can and use a test jar. Or filter a small amount through cheese cloth or a grain bag into a test jar and get your reading that way.

I'd use a thief of sorts and pull a small sample. Let that sample settle out and take the reading then. Also, as for taking a good reading, spin the meter like a top and let it lightly drop into the sample. It should help dislodge anything that would influence the reading.

Hmm i've not got one of them not started to ferment yet.
So I'll try with Siphon one a tiny bit right now.

Thank you all for your replys! :)

Back