Bulk extract purchase for Oregon homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyborg

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any place where a homebrewer can buy 5 gal (60+ lbs) of plain malt extracts for less than $1.84 per pound? I can buy 60 lbs locally in the Portland OR area for $110. I am interested in finding a better price. I am open to buying in mass bulk like a 55 gallon (600+ lbs) drum if I can get a substantially better price. With the full barrel I would likely need to arrange to share the costs with some other homebrewers in my general area.Anybody in the Portland OR area interested in going in together on a 55 gallon barrel?

I have found the maker of the extract I currently use. http://www.briess.com/foodbev/productssweeteners.shtml#brewersgrade

I haven't approached them yet with the idea of buying in bulk directly since they require that you are essentially a brewery to buy from them this way.

ANyone have any experience acquiring extracts in bulk like this? Anyone have any ideas??

i emailed someone one line who sells 50lb boxes. I waned 25lbs he couldnt break it down cause it comes in in 50lb boxes & that what he ships. I would see about getting a deal to be a distributer.

Have you asked anyone at FH Steinbart's or Let's Brew if you could simply buy a 55 gallon barrel off of them? I know Let's Brew dispenses their LME right into plastic buckets and you take that home.

I wouldn't be in for a bulk buy because I do all grain batches.

Back