2.5 gallons in 5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am fermenting a half batch in a 5-gallon carboy. I figure due to the nature of fermentation and CO2 most of the air has been driven out of the head space.

If I plan to do a clearing rest should I try to get something smaller to minimize the contact with air to avoid oxidation?

I want to age long in bottles, so I want to reduce oxidation risks as much as possible.

If I plan to do a clearing rest should I try to get something smaller to minimize the contact with air to avoid oxidation?
I wouldn't secondary a 2-1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. Too much head space and like you said, chance for oxidation. If I wasn't doing any additions that had to be done in a secondary, I'd just leave it in the primary for a week (more or less) after it reaches final gravity, then cold crash and bottle.

I wouldn't secondary a 2-1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. Too much head space and like you said, chance for oxidation. If I wasn't doing any additions that had to be done in a secondary, I'd just leave it in the primary for a week (more or less) after it reaches final gravity, then cold crash and bottle.

That was my original thought process. Thanks.

I do this often, but i do squirt a bit of co2 in the carboy to purge some oxygen out of the headspace.
Never had an issue.

+1 to just about everything above. I do this often, but I secondary in a 3 (2.5?) gal better bottle. It's a great way to get a ton of yeast going before a big brew.

Latest posts

Back